Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

My Pulsar 2.2m Dome MkIII

Jkulin

Great to see all your problems have been rectified with the new dome, clear skies. I've yet to motorise my dome. Planned for next summer, lol.

• Like 1

@Stardust Hi Nigella, good to hear from you, hope all is good. ? 

Yeah I feel much better with a quieter dome, I just wish I had decided on this avenue in the first place.

Hope you get yours automated soon, you might want to get in contact with tomatobro as he was very interested when I advertised my dome and had a really good rotation and shutter system that he developed with his brother.

CS

• Like 1

Well my birthday is this month and my wife Deborah always struggles to get me something, so having been in the observatory and seen how messy the floor gets with keep going in and out, so I thought about these, dirt cheap and perfect for the inside: -

Amazon Astro Door Mat

Mat.jpg.7bb077312cd3df0faa545b437a0c869b.jpg
  • Like 2

Well last Saturday 10th I had a proper 1st light, although I had finished a project that I had previously started and yet to process, this was the first proper complete capture with the new dome.

The isolation of the pier is perfect, the dome worked faultlessly and quietly and at the end of the night a couple of buttons and the whole lot shut down precisely.

The was just a raw NGC7023, the iris Nebula, apart from stack the Lum (11x600s) and a very quick stretch I have done nothing else.

I have got all the bands now apart from 5 x 792s of Blue, which I thought I might have had a shout at, but it wasn't to be.

This was done by accident guiding at x1 Binning, but for all the other channels I did it at x2 binning and was averaging around the 0.22rms mark.

NGC7023_800.jpg.9f2d7e17f51d57496dc119e1a2f29435.jpg

BTW there had been no flats applied so excuse the donuts

• Like 4

@padraic-m

Thanks, indeed it appears to be a massive improvement on my previous Dome.

I feel so much more comfortable firing it straight up and letting it get on with things rather than worrying about banging noises.

@Bob-c Thanks Bob, yep although the seeing isn't brilliant tonight I need just over an hour of blue to finish capturing the Iris and then I can process it.

Hope alls going well with you.

• Like 1

@jkulin...Yes we are okay John thanks, had a couple of try's last night but every time i got going the clouds would roll in and stop my session. So gave up as was getting tired, [old age i think] .By the way i am using Voyager now for full control of mount and all equipment, it is very good. I Hope you managed to get your data finished off last night .                                                               

Bob.

@Bob-c Thanks Bob, yes I got it all last night, just very busy with work.

I have to admit, SGP works faultlessly and the framing and planning wizard makes in indispensable, I could never change to any other software that didn't have this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Mat arrived and it really is well made, only problem is that my builder hasn't laid the path yet, so it has got a little muddy, but should come off in the wash.

@jkulin

I've been following your progress on SGL and am genuinely sorry that you're not happy with the dome that you purchased from me back in June.

I'm also very sorry that you feel I was economical with the truth when you bought it. I believe that I was completely open and honest about any issues that I knew about at the time of sale and I tried to help you solve any problems that arose after you had installed it at your home.

For the record - for any one considering the use of Polytrol. The treatment that John struggled to remove was a single coat of Polytrol that had been applied by brush approx. 18 months ago. So please use with care!

I'm pleased you've managed to sell the old dome on for what you paid me for it and hope you enjoy your new one.

Steve

@steve-1962 You are right Steve, it is you who should be apologising, you were very economical with the truth!

Dear esteemed #BYA Members,

While reviews of products themselves are helpful to members, communication between buyer and vendor is never perfect.

That’s one reason our rules exclude reviews of vendors/sellers/suppliers, but encourage reviews of the product itself.

We kindly ask that any conflicting parties take some time to edit their posts to remove these references, and take the conversation into the live messaging feature or elsewhere to resolve matters.

We wish you the best in resolving things.

Yours sincerely, Cloudy McCloudface ;)

• Like 2

Posted by: @TerryMcK

Very enjoyable write up John. That floor inside the dome looks clean enough to eat off.

Thanks Terry, the flooring is from Halfords, £10 for 6 squares, I needed two packs, makes it safer if you drop anything and easier on the knees.

• Like 1

Nice write up and love the makIII Obsy, wish I had one maybe one day.

And thanks to John, I am now back logged in. ? 

No probs Mick, glad you are back in OK.

I never thought I would get away with a dome in the garden, but my wife is happy with it as it save so much time and fannying around, our grand kids play around it when they come round, so turned out quite well now.

• Like 1