Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Anyone have the Redcat 51 scope ?

Skysthelimit

Looking into saving up for one of these.I was just wandering if anyone had one and if they are any good with a stock slr for astrophotography ? Thx !

• 3 weeks later...

A very respectable scope and very compact. Like all WO gear very well made and worthwhile saving up for. Deliveries, like most astro gear, can be quite long though.

It is on my purchase list along with a boatload of other gear too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen mixed results and if you get a good'un then it is a keeper.

For me I don't like the helical focuser as it is much harder to automate focusing, so I went for the Altair 70mm EDT-F Triplet APO with FPL53 glass and Rack & Pinion Focuser, it was easy to motorise and will use that as my widefield setup at 410mm FL

As an alternative and far cheaper why not have a gander at the SamYang 135mm, absolutely beautiful lens, I also have the 14mm SamYang.

Hope that helps?

Posted by: @Skysthelimit

Looking into saving up for one of these.I was just wandering if anyone had one and if they are any good with a stock slr for astrophotography ? Thx !

I got one and its a great scope very well made also the Helical focuser is amazing , no need for field flatteners , focusing is a pleasure,

one of my first images attached.

Heart Nebula

Roger

When things settle down - if ever! - I am considering one for the iOptron SkyGuider rig as it should be better than my Nikon 70-200mm lens, albeit not as fast (the Nikon is f/2.8).

But I want to have a physical look at these things. So might be a while yet, not least because stock is so limited at present.

• 2 weeks later...

@rpk_astro

Hi .i got the redcat 51 last week .I've only had one chance so far .wide field is great,and the optics looks superb.i had no issues with focus,but in my polluted bortle 7 sky i think ill need to invest in a filter.so far so good with the scope..