Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

testing mechanical tracker - ".. e lucean le stelle"

gabs

Hi,

after a while I managed to use the Omegon mechanical tracker, so two nights ago I pointed my dslr camera toward the Big Dipper just to see if I could get long exposures without seeing the stars trail .

The result of 50 exposures at 1.5 minutes each is the attached picture. Nothing too exciting but happy to see I managed to get a good alignment with Polaris.

I used :

Canon 1200 D with 50mm lens ISO 800 focus 4.5 at 90 second for each exposure.

I processed a bit on GIMP but without doing too much.

thumbs up and down are more than welcome.

Gabs

test.thumb.jpg.5338c6a3d44258d6ca5cb5bdd3622b14.jpg

• Like 5

That's looking like a big improvement on your previous mount.

Carole  

36 minutes ago, Carastro said:

That's looking like a big improvement on your previous mount.

Carole  

Thanks Carole I hope I found the way..!

Well done Gabs, 1.5 mins exposures will start getting good data on targets.

1 hour ago, MarkAR said:

Well done Gabs, 1.5 mins exposures will start getting good data on targets.

Thanks Mark,

Still don’t like to use the LP filter because it makes everything green... is not my favourite colour 😅

That's a huge improvement - focus looks spot-on and definitely no trails. Have you tried to plate-solve it on astrometry.net? There's nothing particularly interesting in that area of space from an astronomical point of view; quite a few double stars and an eclipsing binary; just one DSO that's too small and faint to see. If you were to point to Ursa Major, you would see the multiple star system Alcor and Mizar in the plough handle; and you should also be able to make out M101 and M51 galaxies. M101 would be 50 pixels wide at your pixel scale, and M51 would be 22 pixels wide, so definitely visible but quite small.

6 hours ago, gabs said:

Still don’t like to use the LP filter because it makes everything green... is not my favourite colour 😅

The colour can be processed out in post processing but LP is less easy.

Carole 

3 hours ago, Padraic M said:

That's a huge improvement - focus looks spot-on and definitely no trails. Have you tried to plate-solve it on astrometry.net? There's nothing particularly interesting in that area of space from an astronomical point of view; quite a few double stars and an eclipsing binary; just one DSO that's too small and faint to see. If you were to point to Ursa Major, you would see the multiple star system Alcor and Mizar in the plough handle; and you should also be able to make out M101 and M51 galaxies. M101 would be 50 pixels wide at your pixel scale, and M51 would be 22 pixels wide, so definitely visible but quite small.

Yes I thought there wasn’t nothing too interesting and definitely I want to try again in a different region. I hope to spot something more interesting.

thanks for you comment

13 minutes ago, Carastro said:

The colour can be processed out in post processing but LP is less easy.

Carole 

Thanks Carole, I am struggle to remove completely the green however I have to say I still need to learn a lot in term of post processing software but I am here to learn.

gabs