Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

What to do with the eye not on the eyepiece?

Marmot

I would be interested on the views and experiences of other people as to what they have found to be the best technique for visual observing:

obviously one eye is used with the eyepiece but what do you do with the other..........keep it open, try and close it, wear a patch to cover it etc.?

Hi Marmot,

my experience and my technique is use one eye while the other is closed that is when I am observing.
I will not suggest to wear a patch.

however you might find that you can use a planetary camera so you can see what is on your eyepiece on the laptop screen , for example it’s quite good for observing the moon.

What telescope do you have?

I hope my respond would help you.

gabs

Edited by gabs

Thanks Gabs.

i am using a Skywatcher ST 120 refractor.

purely visual observing sounds very simple, but I do find that after a relatively short time I need a break from trying to keep one eye closed whilst looking with the other. So I just thought that by asking others, I may find that I was missing something obvious.

thanks again for your reply

martin

@Marmot I find the most comfortable approach is to keep both eyes open - if the second eye is distracting I cover with with my hand. I don't find it easy to close one eye while looking through the other and straining my neck to see the sky!!!

I think the secret is to not try so hard. If you're desperately trying to keep one eye closed it's all you will think about. After a while I found that allowing my left eye to remain closed while I observed with my right eye was not a problem and it felt natural. 

I usually use reflex sights with my scopes and often use both eyes open to find the area/target I want in the sky. 

Thanks to both of you.

i find it most comfortable with both eyes open as I am not very good at shutting the eye I am not using. I wasn’t sure if I was losing anything by keeping both open, but I see that Padraic does the same.

i will keep experimenting and see what comes naturally. I suppose there is just no right or wrong answer.

3 hours ago, Marmot said:

Thanks to both of you.

i find it most comfortable with both eyes open as I am not very good at shutting the eye I am not using. I wasn’t sure if I was losing anything by keeping both open, but I see that Padraic does the same.

i will keep experimenting and see what comes naturally. I suppose there is just no right or wrong answer.

I don’t think there is a specific method or technique. You should use the way that suits and is more comfortable for you.

I use mainly my right eye when I am observing and I need to wear contact lenses. With the glasses I have more problem.

The most important thing is you enjoy what you doing in every way you want.

gabs

Edited by gabs

4 hours ago, Marmot said:

Thanks to both of you.

Yeah, gabs is right, you have to find what's best for you. I often have both eyes open and don't realise when I'm observing. Closing the left eye without much effort while keeping the right eye open has become instinctive though. 

In a way it reminds me of learning barre chords on a guitar. It took me a couple of years to do it properly. A couple more for it to feel natural, and several years after for me to realise it was about technique and not plain strength.

• Like 1

When I rarely do visual with my Dob I always have both eyes open. 

Well if you struggle closing one eye and it's a distraction with it open then the only solution is to go bino. 😁

If the Mrs says "you're not spending any more money" then explain to her that within a year she would become  married to Popeye.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She may prefer Bluto rather than Popeye especially if her name is Olive! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can easily keep one eye closed for long periods using a scope. I have done this for years, but I think it was difficult at first.
Probably it is a case of doing it for short periods and changing eyes. Sorry I can't remember any more about how it became easier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I do archery and found it actually helps relax to keep both eyes open... it takes a bit of practise but you soon learn to ignore the "other" eye's image. It makes it much more comfortable

That's just my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

When I put my left eye to the EP I just close my right eye, but after a short while I prefer to cup my right hand around my right eye and keep it open. I'm easily distracted if my right eye sees e.g. a tripod leg or the white accessory tray.

Throwing a piece of black cloth over my head and the EP to create a dark enclosed soace works surprisingly well too! I've been meaning to shop for black velvet fabric and cut it to the right size, but a black t-shirt is also fine.

Btw @Laurieo I'm (was) an archer too, and when I was active I also always kept both eyes open.

Edited by Moonlit