Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Skywatcher explorer 130M EQ newtonian

gabs

1 hour ago, gabs said:

I need also to understand whether or not I can install my scope on it. But I guess it should be possible. 

You would need to de-fork your telescope and put it on a dovetail to mount it on this.  Trying to mount the entire ETX with mount would be very top heavy.  Will work well with DSLR and camera lens but again you would need a dovetail.  

Carole 

7 minutes ago, Carastro said:

You would need to de-fork your telescope and put it on a dovetail to mount it on this.  Trying to mount the entire ETX with mount would be very top heavy.  Will work well with DSLR and camera lens but again you would need a dovetail.  

Carole 

As long as the dovetail doesn’t cost me more than the scope itself it sound a convenient operation!

thanks Carole

33 minutes ago, gabs said:

As long as the dovetail doesn’t cost me more than the scope itself it sound a convenient operation!

A vixen dovetail for a skywatcher mount will cost as little as £15, and most will come with a 1/4" threaded hole for attaching a camera. Something like this is ideal for attaching a camera to a mount.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/dovetails/deluxe-vixen-style-photo-dovetail-kit/

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

10 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

A vixen dovetail for a skywatcher mount will cost as little as £15, and most will come with a 1/4" threaded hole for attaching a camera.

Good info thanks,

I hope to get the mount .
Keep all your fingers crossed for me guys! 🤞

• Like 1

An EQ5 pro (go to) sold on eBay yesterday for £590. And most of the price was added in the last 24hrs!

There is however one on gumtree for a fixed price of £500. It looks like new! 

I find gumtree a place worth worth keeping an eye on: it doesn’t have the following of sites like eBay so it doesn’t have the variety of stuff advertised, but every now and again it has good items at a reasonable price.

When I came into this hobby (only a few months ago) I watched various sites, but I have had some of my best buys through gumtree!

Thought i I would make you aware in case it’s of any use to you.

1 minute ago, Marmot said:

An EQ5 pro (go to) sold on eBay yesterday for £590. And most of the price was added in the last 24hrs!

There is however one on gumtree for a fixed price of £500. It looks like new! 

I find gumtree a place worth worth keeping an eye on: it doesn’t have the following of sites like eBay so it doesn’t have the variety of stuff advertised, but every now and again it has good items at a reasonable price.

When I came into this hobby (only a few months ago) I watched various sites, but I have had some of my best buys through gumtree!

Thought i I would make you aware in case it’s of any use to you.

Yes gumtree can be another good place as well as astrobuysell.com

definitely it worth to try to search in different places.

thank you!

I see the ebay Mount bids have gone up to £293 with 4 days left to run.

Fingers crossed for you Gabs.

Carole  

3 hours ago, GazAstro said:

Hi Gabs, don't forget to check on Astro BuySell UK site - some decent options on there and you won't get caught up in 'bidding wars'

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=173935

Hi GazAstro,

I am searching on different sites and astrobuysell is one of them.

Unfortunately the eBay mount mentioned above is now at more than 500£ which means than in 3 days it will be at 700 or more.

with the same money or not money I can bay it for new. Plus the same one on gumtree is at 500.

😫

On 5/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, Carastro said:

I see the ebay Mount bids have gone up to £293 with 4 days left to run.

Fingers crossed for you Gabs.

Carole  

Yep just saw it and I start to cry.. 

I am seriously thinking to get a sky adventure package maybe the wi fi one.

definitely cheaper and I can take it with me on holiday as is not too heavy! 
gabs

15 minutes ago, gabs said:

Yep just saw it and I start to cry.. 

I am seriously thinking to get a sky adventure package maybe the wi fi one.

definitely cheaper and I can take it with me on holiday as is not too heavy! 
gabs

It's over £500 now with 4 days left.

3 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

It's over £500 now with 4 days left.

Yep I bet it will reach more than £ 700 in the next 2 days.

out of my budget not for this year at least...

15 minutes ago, gabs said:

Yep I bet it will reach more than £ 700 in the next 2 days.

out of my budget not for this year at least...

If it gets to over £700, I would sooner buy a new one anyway.

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

If it gets to over £700, I would sooner buy a new one anyway.

If you do it you can sell me you gear for less than £ 500 🤣

can we make a deal ? Ahaha

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GazAstro said:

Just seen this on astro buy sell - might be worth a punt ?

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=174266

I contacted the seller . It seems is gone.. sold!

I ordered a skywatcher Star Adventurer 2I WiFi Pro Pack . I found a very good price from a shop in London.

I should going to collect it tomorrow morning!🙂

Edited by gabs
  • Like 1

I have been following this thread with interest. Make sure you keep us updated with your findings once you have collected your new kit.

2 hours ago, Marmot said:

I have been following this thread with interest. Make sure you keep us updated with your findings once you have collected your new kit.

Thanks Marmot,

I will post pics.

I hope to use it soon but weather is going to be horrible in the next days.😞

On 5/13/2021 at 11:44 AM, GazAstro said:

Just seen this on astro buy sell - might be worth a punt ?

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=174266

Shame it had gone Gabs, That was the mount I used for imaging when i first started, and although it does have drawbacks with the external motors, and is very noisy, it does make a good imaging mount, so add that to your list of possibles if and when you get a heavy equatorial mount.

I see you have ordered a skywatcher Star Adventurer 2I WiFi Pro.  this should work well with the camera lens and I believe you can mount a small refractor on it although getting it to balance is a bit more of a problem.  I once saw some-one who will be nameless as he is a member of this forum, tape a baked beans tin to the counterweight to balance with a small refractor.  Lol, you know who you are Dave.

Carole 

Carole 

Edited by Carastro
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Shame it had gone Gabs, That was the mount I used for imaging when i first started, and although it does have drawbacks with the external motors, and is very noisy, it does make a good imaging mount, so add that to your list of possibles if and when you get a heavy equatorial mount.

I see you have ordered a skywatcher Star Adventurer 2I WiFi Pro.  this should work well with the camera lens and I believe you can mount a small refractor on it although getting it to balance is a bit more of a problem.  I once saw some-one who will be nameless as he is a member of this forum, tape a baked beans tin to the counterweight to balance with a small refractor.  Lol, you know who you are Dave.

Carole 

Carole 

Good advise Carole thanks,

I am thinking to use first with dslr only even if I saw you can mount dslr and telescope same time but I am not going to make my life more difficult.

Having something more portable and lighter it’s good for me because I need to take it when I am holiday in Italy or Scotland.

I have already a strong tripod but if I found something at decent price I don’t mind to buy a new one.

I will keep you posted.

gabs