Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Remote observatory build

David

I recently got the chance to commence an observatory build at a very dark location where we have a small property.

The intent is to go fully unattended at some point so it’s being designed with that in mind. 

I have a number of constraints including only having Mobile Broadband connectivity. The footprint will be very small and will have to blend in with the environment. Happy with that as my last build was quite large and it turned out I didn’t really need that warm room after all. There’s a bad time lapse of the previous build at this link.

The first part of this build is done. I have a pier and am happily imaging. Over the course of the year i will keep adding to it iteratively until i get to a fully automated setup but will build it in a way that I can carry on imaging at each staged as clear skies are precious and I am pretty time poor at the moment with one thing and another.

Am somewhat committed as the Scope Dome Rolloff roof controller has landed and I don’t have any walls up yet, or floors come to think of it, or power.hmm

The image is the setup after the MVP was delivered. I have also attached a quick JamBoard grab to show what the MVP was made up of (everything above the red line) and what’s next to consider for this particular part of the project. Using this helps me figure out what’s really important to me and what I can get to another time

At some point I really will have to design the Obsy itself. That’s next.

1CD7916E-9B7C-4E9E-98D0-D6759DB7B4E0.png

2D08B2B7-51B5-4604-9A4D-5705D706BE79.jpeg

• Like 2

I enjoyed the link to the time lapse of your previous build. Keep us posted as to how the new one is going as it sounds like an interesting project.

only one question.....in your video where’s the cloud, wind, rain sleet and generally poor weather........oh, just noticed your not in the UK😃

15 minutes ago, Marmot said:

I enjoyed the link to the time lapse of your previous build. Keep us posted as to how the new one is going as it sounds like an interesting project.

only one question.....in your video where’s the cloud, wind, rain sleet and generally poor weather........oh, just noticed your not in the UK😃

As you well know, the pants weather arrives just after everything is built/purchased and ready to go.Sadly we get our fair share of that  here as well depending on where you are.