Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Do telescopes require maintenance?

Marmot

Hi

This may seem a silly question, but as a novice it is a question that has been on my mind for a while. 

In particular I have a refractor and everything works as it should, but as I am a believer in ‘prevention is better than cure’ is there anything that needs occasional TLC to keep it all as it should be?

I know that optics should be left well alone, but is there anything else that needs to have an eye kept on it? Ie focuser, tripod, mount etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have never done anything to my refractors unless something went wrong, which it did once.  The focuser was slipping, so needed tightening up.

Carole 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Carastro said:

I have never done anything to my refractors unless something went wrong, which it did once.  The focuser was slipping, so needed tightening up.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. I kind of had the feeling that there was very little that could go wrong/require maintaining but I thought it worth checking.

Refractors are renown for being easy to maintain as there are usually few issues. I don't think the lens cell of a stock ST120 is collimatable. I believe it can be threaded out as a complete cell. The stock focuser may be able to be collimated, although if it ain't broke, it won't need fixing.

U7wqjpml.jpg

I often periodically check screws holding the focuser into the tube assembly. And generally check the focuser screws for any loosening or other problems.

R0K27r4l.jpg

It's probably a good idea to use a rubber blower to blow dust and pollen particles off the objective occasionally. Pollen can stick to coatings. I also occasionally use a microfibre cloth to gently remove any particles from the objective. Sometimes I use a blower to remove any particles of dust inside the OTA by blowing through the visual back.

LpYrKVkl.jpg

Maybe annually I clean the objective of a regularly used scope with some Baader fluid. I apply a small amount to a Baader microfibre cloth and gently remove any pollen build up.

7rzcpmMl.jpg

Cleaning and Maintenance of Optics ~ Baader Planetarium

• Like 1

Thanks Nightspore.

Not so much a case of maintaining the scope, but just checking for anything that might cause problems in the future (screws worked loose etc)

i got some Baader fluid and one of their cloths as a ‘just in case’ measure. I thought it best to have it at hand in case anything gets on the lens that needs removing.

You are clearly someone who looks after their kit as the lens in your pic looks immaculate!

The only maintenance I do is removing the dust as the chance to use a telescope are getting very low 🙂 

however I had to tight my focus knob other than that I have never done anything else but I keep clear my eyepiece and camera lens regularly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gabs said:

The only maintenance I do is removing the dust as the chance to use a telescope are getting very low 🙂 

however I had to tight my focus knob other than that I have never done anything else but I keep clear my eyepiece and camera lens regularly.

Thanks Gabs.

You have reminded me that it’s not just the scope, but also the eyepieces that need checking and cleaning if required. Fortunately I have examined all my EPs in detail as I have obtained them all from the used market so I make sure I check them when I get them, but I would imagine they are quite prone to stuff getting on them being so close to your eye/face when in use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marmot said:

Thanks Nightspore.

Not so much a case of maintaining the scope, but just checking for anything that might cause problems in the future (screws worked loose etc)

i got some Baader fluid and one of their cloths as a ‘just in case’ measure. I thought it best to have it at hand in case anything gets on the lens that needs removing.

You are clearly someone who looks after their kit as the lens in your pic looks immaculate!

In my experience entry level Synta refractors can often have loose focuser housing screws. As do some aftermarket GSO focusers. Many people have experienced  pinched optics although I've never had this problem. This is primarily as the Synta scopes are transported for long distances even before they arrive at distributors and sometimes housing screws work loose. The collar screw holding the lens cell can actually tighten during these prolonged transports which is usually the cause of pinched optics. 

o9XrKzSl.jpg

I once contacted FLO about the slipping that happened with the 'Sky-Watcher' (Long Perng) aftermarket rotating focuser I had originally on my ST102. It had replaced the GSO focuser in June 2019. I remember as it occurred about March 2020 as I was observing C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) with my new Lumicon comet filter. Which was odd as it was in February 2019 while observing C/2018 Y1 Iwamoto with the ST102 that I first noticed the rotational problem with the TS Optics (GSO) focuser that prompted me to replace it with the SW one.

TCHRNgel.jpg

I eventually replaced the SW with a MoonLite on the ST102, but the Long Perng is still used on my 80ED DS Pro. All it took to stop the slipping was an Allen key. When I contacted them FLO had no idea about how to fix the slipping, apparently they hadn't read this. Although I'd figured it out myself before I found this page.

OOIWYSyl.jpg

I never actually used the ST102 with its stock focuser.

8bnPQSol.jpg

It now has a MoonLite, and in the past I have had to keep an eye on the screws holding the adapter plate into the OTA. MoonLite's supplied screws have imperial Allen key measurements and are difficult to tighten just with the key. Luckily the screws sit proud of the tube housing and can be sufficiently tightened with pliers. So yeah, a bit of routine maintenance checking is always good.

Edited by Nightspore

The only maintenance I do on my ‘scopes (1x refractor & 2 catadioptric) is to clean the front elements and e/p’s twice a year* with Baader Optical Wonder fluid and check there are no loose screws, etc., before setting up outside.

* e/p’s and other accessories get a light clean the following day after observing as well.

• Like 1