Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Bits in the air

woodblock

I have a 200mm SW Newtonian which is two years old. I got it new and looking down the tube there was this beautiful, clean, gleaming mirror. But now when I look I can see a layer of dust and bits all over it. This isn't about cleaning by the way. I know enough to avoid that for now.  I've always kept it covered when not in use. Outside I wear an LED headlight and I noticed last night the astonishing amount of dust and bits just floating around in the air catching the light from the LED. We have some big old trees around us but we are out in the sticks so no traffic nearby.  There was hardly any breeze. As it happened the scope was pointing up near the zenith and I was thinking about all those bits drifting down onto my lovely mirror.

Just an observation, that's all.

Cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, woodblock said:

I have a 200mm SW Newtonian which is two years old. I got it new and looking down the tube there was this beautiful, clean, gleaming mirror. But now when I look I can see a layer of dust and bits all over it. This isn't about cleaning by the way. I know enough to avoid that for now.  I've always kept it covered when not in use. Outside I wear an LED headlight and I noticed last night the astonishing amount of dust and bits just floating around in the air catching the light from the LED. We have some big old trees around us but we are out in the sticks so no traffic nearby.  There was hardly any breeze. As it happened the scope was pointing up near the zenith and I was thinking about all those bits drifting down onto my lovely mirror.

Just an observation, that's all.

Cheers

Steve

Those bits in the air could be pollen. This time of year their is a tremendous amount of pollen in the air from trees. If you get pollen on the mirror, you might have no option but to clean it.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

Yes, I hadn't thought of pollen. The oak trees have finished now but the ash trees are just starting.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, woodblock said:

Yes, I hadn't thought of pollen. The oak trees have finished now but the ash trees are just starting.

Thanks

Steve

We have a lot of oak trees on our property, with it raining the last couple of days, the puddles are yellow with the pollen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...