Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Telescope Valuation please (Observing scope)

Carastro

Some of you may have read the sad news on another thread about the death of KevS a member on this forum.  

His wife has asked me for some help in selling his equipment, though she is not quite ready to do that just yet, but several of us are trying at least to identify what she has and the potential re-sale price.

I attach a photo she has sent me of an Achromat.  I believe it is quite a few years old.  

Meade LXD55 EMC - looks like it comes with a nice box and his wife thinks there is a mount for it in the garage.

Any of the observers able to give me an idea of what price she might sell it for, with and without the trripod (in case she doesn't find it).

Many thanks, she is not sure where and when she will be selling his kit as yet as she obviously has lots to sort out at the moment. 

Carole 

Kev's acromat.jpeg

Edited by Carastro

Hi Carole

I had a quick look on the Net and the Meade EMCs appears to be a range of scopes and it looks like they did differing sizes. I can’t quite make out the plate on the back of the scope to see the diameter etc, but it looks similar to some pics I have found of the 150mm (f8 I think) that was around in about 2010.

if we had the aperture it may be a bit more to go on. Maybe you can make it out from the original pic you have.?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carastro said:

Any of the observers able to give me an idea of what price she might sell it for, with and without the trripod (in case she doesn't find it).

Hi Carole after a little googling, the going price for one of these refractors is around $500. They are a f8 6"/150mm doublet, with a focal length of 1200mm, not a small scope. The only valuations were for both scope and tripod as a unit.

• Like 1

I will get Kev's wife to look inside the aperture of the scope and take a photo perhaps, I already asked her to do this on another scope he has. 

5 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Hi Carole after a little googling, the going price for one of these refractors is around $500. They are a f8 6"/150mm doublet, with a focal length of 1200mm, not a small scope. The only valuations were for both scope and tripod as a unit.

She thinks she might have the Tripod in the garage. 

Hmmm this is interesting because when I was googling it it came up as an Acromat, so will be interesting to get some more info/photos of labels etc.

Will put the above finds into a file so when we have more info I can decide which scope it definitely is. 

Many thanks

Carole  

43 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Is that US $ ?

Yes, most of them were advertised on Astromart in the US. $500 is about £350.

From what I've found, the LXD55 is the mount, I think the scope is AR6 for 6" achromat.