Jump to content

Sky watcher evostar 72Ed Apo


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Marmot said:

If your system relies on it all being level, you may find it more accurate by relying on a system other than the bubble level built into the mount. The bubble in the EQ 3-2 mount is very small, to the point of being hard to see and get an accurate read from.

I found the easiest way to get a perfectly level mount, is to remove the mount from my tripod, and use a spirit level across the top of the tripod. Getting the mount level across all 3 legs is relatively straightforward. Once done, if you use the same location for your scope, the legs shouldn't need adjusting again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I found the easiest way to get a perfectly level mount, is to remove the mount from my tripod, and use a spirit level across the top of the tripod. Getting the mount level across all 3 legs is relatively straightforward. Once done, if you use the same location for your scope, the legs shouldn't need adjusting again.

Great idea. So simple. I will remember that one. If you place the tripod in exactly the same position it will be polar aligned also (maybe just the finest adjustment required.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marmot said:

Great idea. So simple. I will remember that one. If you place the tripod in exactly the same position it will be polar aligned also (maybe just the finest adjustment required.)

The PA won't be far out. My scope is on a pad of concrete, I mark the position of the legs with chalk once I am aligned, but of course the rain washes that away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The PA won't be far out. My scope is on a pad of concrete, I mark the position of the legs with chalk once I am aligned, but of course the rain washes that away.

I think I found out why I didn’t get a good star alignment. I think I made a mistake when I set the time . I add an extra hour when I shouldn’t .. I will keep you posted once I tried again! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gabs said:

I think I found out why I didn’t get a good star alignment. I think I made a mistake when I set the time . I add an extra hour when I shouldn’t .. I will keep you posted once I tried again! 

Yes, that wouldn't help with your star alignment, but it shouldn't make too much difference with polar alignment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gabs said:

I think I found out why I didn’t get a good star alignment. I think I made a mistake when I set the time . I add an extra hour when I shouldn’t .. I will keep you posted once I tried again! 

When I had a Go To system I couldn’t work out why everything was way off, until I realised that I needed to set it for BST (British summer time). The  differing hour makes a huge difference to where everything is. 

So I think you may be on the right track as to where the error is.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marmot said:

When I had a Go To system I couldn’t work out why everything was way off, until I realised that I needed to set it for BST (British summer time). The  differing hour makes a huge difference to where everything is. 

So I think you may be on the right track as to where the error is.

Yes I think that was the issue.

the BST can make a big difference.

so if I am not wrong I shouldn’t add and additional hours when I set the time up. 

well it’s good to know for the next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s easy to make mistakes in this hobby. (Especially for me being relatively new to it all). Last week I set my scope up to look for a specific target. I completely forgot that my view through the scope reversed left and right and I spent an hour looking in completely the wrong place😄 (the wrong side of a star). But the views I had were beautiful all the same, they just weren’t the ones I was looking for😃. Time Is never wasted doing stuff as long as your glass is half full!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marmot said:

It’s easy to make mistakes in this hobby. (Especially for me being relatively new to it all). Last week I set my scope up to look for a specific target. I completely forgot that my view through the scope reversed left and right and I spent an hour looking in completely the wrong place😄 (the wrong side of a star). But the views I had were beautiful all the same, they just weren’t the ones I was looking for😃. Time Is never wasted doing stuff as long as your glass is half full!

I love that !  Brilliant!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...