Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

MINI PC

Bunglesastroimaging

Having not spent enough on this hobby already I'm now thinking of getting a mini pc to run my new rig on and tapping into it from indoors ( as an option ) . Knowing very little of them does this spec look sufficient to run required programmes for an imaging session? 

Also are there any guides or does anyone know what it entails to use one and just be able to have things run auto once it's powered up so that I'd just be able to connect via my laptop and get it all set for a session. 

Thanks. 

Screenshot_20210611-090221_Chrome.jpg

An I7 would be a little of overkill for an imaging PC. An I5 with same RAM and SSD would more than suffice.

You don't need a great deal of horsepower when capturing. 

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My remote PCs are i3 with 64 GB boot and 8 GB RAM. As Terry says, you don't need huge grunt to run an imaging rig, and in my case the subs go straight to the big NAS in the office via ethernet.

Edited by DaveS

And that runs everything with no issues? I've now purchased something, I know very little about PC specs and what is required to run imaging software. But the one I've bought looks to have bigger numbers on things. Maybe I've bought something more than I actually needed. It's all set up though now and got everything connected and appears to work fine indoors. Not dark enough or clear to give it all a proper outdoor session yet.