Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Canon Rebel T7?

jcj380

I'm considering buying a Canon (unmodified) T7 to dip my toe into astrophotography.  My main interest is wide field constellation pictures, but I'd probably eventually try some open cluster shots through one of my fast refractors.  I've been researching dedicated astrocams, but I don't want to fuss with a laptop scopeside and if I decide AP isn't for me, I could just keep the DSLR for general photography.

Thoughts or experiences?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, jcj380 said:

I'm considering buying a Canon (unmodified) T7 to dip my toe into astrophotography.  My main interest is wide field constellation pictures, but I'd probably eventually try some open cluster shots through one of my fast refractors.  I've been researching dedicated astrocams, but I don't want to fuss with a laptop scopeside and if I decide AP isn't for me, I could just keep the DSLR for general photography.

This is a good approach to take. I used an unmodified Canon for years, both in astrophotography and normal photography. When using my camera for normal photography, I used a custom white balance, which is basically an image taken with an 18% grey card.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, jcj380 said:

I’ve just bought a Canon for AP and have the same mindset as yourself pretty much however I do intend to get into the whole laptop setup side eventually but that’s because I’ll be after faint deep space objects

i went for the 700d which is the T5i. Has 18Mp sensor and seems ok for what I need. Snapped it up on eBay for less than £300 and so far it’s been great. I think the T7 has more resolution (20Mp?) but doubt that will make a huge difference to images. 
Whichever you go for you may want to consider getting a cable release too which will assist with long exposure shots

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Damo127 said:

I’ve just bought a Canon for AP and have the same mindset as yourself pretty much however I do intend to get into the whole laptop setup side eventually but that’s because I’ll be after faint deep space objects

i went for the 700d which is the T5i. Has 18Mp sensor and seems ok for what I need. Snapped it up on eBay for less than £300 and so far it’s been great. I think the T7 has more resolution (20Mp?) but doubt that will make a huge difference to images. 
Whichever you go for you may want to consider getting a cable release too which will assist with long exposure shots

Did you try to install magic lantern on your camera? Is an external software that you can download on your sd card it has also an internal intervalometer so you don’t need to use external cable , and additional features very interesting if you intend to use a DSLR for astrophotography.

I shared a post here about magic lantern or simply google it. 

https://magiclantern.fm/

let me know 

Edited by gabs
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, gabs said:

Did you try to install magic lantern on your camera? Is an external software that you can download on your sd card it has also an internal intervalometer so you don’t need to use external cable , and additional features very interesting if you intend to use a DSLR for astrophotography.

I shared a post here about magic lantern or simply google it. 

https://magiclantern.fm/

let me know 

I didn’t but I had come across it since and kind of wish I had now. Instead I’d rushed out and already bought an intervelometer but it was only £15 so I’m not too upset. 

4 minutes ago, Damo127 said:

I didn’t but I had come across it since and kind of wish I had now. Instead I’d rushed out and already bought an intervelometer but it was only £15 so I’m not too upset. 

I had the same and sometimes I prefer using the external cable but download the software it gives you something more but be careful because can effect the warranty of your camera if is a second hand one you don’t need to worry too much! 

Edited by gabs