Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

60s or 70s???

TareqPhoto

Hi all,

Now a budget will come next month [July], and it will be split into two or three things or items, one of them i almost sure to go with 99%, so only two remaining, one of them is about this topic here.

I want to buy a refractor for DSO imaging, and i want cheap small one, i have the choice between 60s aperture scopes or 70s aperture scopes, if 60s then simply i can add 0.8x reducer later and i will be fine, but with 70s aperture then i have to do one of two things, A. To buy a reducer such as 0.65x or 0.7x only, B. Buy APS-C mono camera which is very pricey for now, but it can be a plan later anyway. So with two choices i have to be careful what should i buy, your opinion.

I decided to keep my QHY163M and not buy APS-C mono now yet, i think i will leave this camera for next year, unless i get lucky and win money somewhere, so i don't know if i should based my choice on 4/3" cameras or future APS-C mono, and i don't ask which type of refractor because it will be used for NB mostly, so it can be a doublet or triplet not a problem, but cheap, no more than $500, so i can buy two scopes at once, let me see what will be your opinion or choice for me.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to decide which size scope to get based on what targets you want to image and also what camera you have/will get. Another decision also depends on what is available new or possibly secondhand.

11 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I think you need to decide which size scope to get based on what targets you want to image and also what camera you have/will get. Another decision also depends on what is available new or possibly secondhand.

hahaha, you didn't make it any easier, it is like you asked me questions so i answer first to ask my own.

Well, i did the research, and i know which targets and i know what cameras i have, it is only a question about which scopes to meet those, and to me it should be in this 60mm or 70mm aperture scopes, the budget isn't very high, so if i can buy two it will be like one will be little expensive while the other will be cheap automatically, i decided on one scope, now only left the second one, but someone in another site also tried with me to forget about that one i decided on, so it will return me back to zero.

Basically the targets i want to do they need something in 260-280mm focal length with my 4/3" sensor cameras, i have three mono of them, so it must be in that focal length range, and i prefer a reduced of this FL and not native such as RedCat, i don't like so wide field 200-250mm Petzval, i want to have flexibility, so a scope at 360-400mm and with reducer to bring it wide to 260-280mm will be the only plan i want to do.

Both those scopes will be used next to my 90mm Triplet which i must buy a reducer for it as will and i will use my only APS-C color camera to match those two i want at 260-280mm using 4/3" sensor, so those two scopes will be used with Ha and/or SII filters from narrowbanding side, and maybe LP or Lum filter, because my 90mm will be using a color camera so that is RGB data already.

I am waiting an update of a news i got, if it happens then i might change the plan a bit again, so it is all depending on that news if it will happen or not, i will wait and see, but i think even if it happens i will not ask again as no one understood my point clearly at all.

Sounds like a 70mm would fit the bill.

Askar do a 72mm with 400mm f/l. Not sure about a reducer though.

4 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Sounds like a 70mm would fit the bill.

Askar do a 72mm with 400mm f/l. Not sure about a reducer though.

Their reducer is awesome and amazing, i saw many results from this scope with and without a reducer, truly amazing, that is why i decided that it should be one of scopes to buy, and because it is expensive i can't buy same scope again at same time together.

Here are examples for you from Askar FRA400 with and without reducer, then you can judge and tell me what do you think.

• Without a reducer [400mm]:
  1. A combination of Askar FRA400 with Celestron C9.25
  2. https://www.astrobin.com/ojxdc9/
  3. Galaxy
  4. https://www.astrobin.com/eiwphb/

• With a reducer Askar 0.7x [280mm]:
  1. M45
  2. https://www.astrobin.com/kvmrpj/
  3. https://www.astrobin.com/lx7hhb/K/

12 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Results look good, the Askar I think is a good scope to get.

Think? Not sure then

Well I've seen some very promising results but don't remember exactly which Askar scope it was. Stars looked really sharp and crisp across the field. When I'm ready to buy a shorter scope it's definitely one I'll consider.

27 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Well I've seen some very promising results but don't remember exactly which Askar scope it was. Stars looked really sharp and crisp across the field. When I'm ready to buy a shorter scope it's definitely one I'll consider.

So, i keep my decision about this Askar scope and search for another second one cheaper?

Yes, worth hunting around and looking at images taken with other scopes. Particularly look at star shapes around the edges and corners.

24 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Yes, worth hunting around and looking at images taken with other scopes. Particularly look at star shapes around the edges and corners.

Ok, cool, thank you very much