July 2021 - Anybody playing tonight

I captured 50 subs of OIII last night. There were a few with egg shaped stars mainly after the meridian flip so I scrapped the subs containing those. So now have 42 for a total of 90. I think seeing was a little poor last night judging by my guide log.

8 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Nearly there! Quick preview below. Very happy with the result comprising 3 hours of RGB with 25 minutes of Lum mixed at 10%. Not going to post officially until I get to see it on the big monitor - colouring on the laptop isn't always representative.

1649602754_IrisNebulaRGB16-bit.thumb.jpg.c9812ca401a65d49175f9906dc8474df.jpg

Looking good 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Nearly there! Quick preview below. Very happy with the result comprising 3 hours of RGB with 25 minutes of Lum mixed at 10%. Not going to post officially until I get to see it on the big monitor - colouring on the laptop isn't always representative.

1649602754_IrisNebulaRGB16-bit.thumb.jpg.c9812ca401a65d49175f9906dc8474df.jpg

I particularly like the star colour 👍

• Thanks 1

A massive rainstorm with thunder! To be fair it was forecast as possible I only got notification by one of the cats running in and announcing at the top of her voice - I’M WET, in cat speak of course, not that I am fluent but as she was soaking wet it was a good guess. Fortunately the scope is under its covers and is fine.

A look at Ventusky reveals it is going to be bad throughout the night. Meteoblue agrees as does ScopeNights.

However the app Clear Outside says it is going to be wonderful. I might just throw that app away!

• Like 1

Feel really bad for Gabs, I think he really needs someone on the spot to help him.  I am probably the closest person, but his set up is something I have no experience with and his problems are beyond my IT skills which is why I keep everything simple myself.  

Is there anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of SE London who could help him when he is back from Italy.  The fact that he doesn't have a car himself also adds to the difficulties.  

Carole 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carastro said:

Feel really bad for Gabs, I think he really needs someone on the spot to help him.  I am probably the closest person, but his set up is something I have no experience with and his problems are beyond my IT skills which is why I keep everything simple myself.  

Is there anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of SE London who could help him when he is back from Italy.  The fact that he doesn't have a car himself also adds to the difficulties.  

Carole 

I am in down in Devon I am afraid.  I really hope someone can help.  I am sure with his enthusiasm he will get there very soon 🤞

4 hours ago, Carastro said:

Carole 

I have a feeling the problem is something very simple, like the baud rate of his mount connection is different to the rate in EQmod. He can connect to the mount through the Syscan app, but not through Ascom and EQmod. I have read countless articles on how to connect his mount and they all say the same. EQdir cable to the hand controller port on the motor controller, the USB end to the laptop. No handset needs to be involved at all. The Synscan app could also have a conflict when trying to send or receive signal from PHD2, but it's difficult trying to fix a problem you can't see.

A surprise change of forecast here, sky has just cleared although the full moon is up. Taking in the area in Cas around the Bubble Nebula, Salt and Pepper etc. with the added bonus of the supernova, currently at magnitude 6.96 according to Stellarium, and definitely very obvious in my subs!

image.thumb.png.3921c4ba8bf4d6b33ce4108901cc5bec.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

A surprise change of forecast here, sky has just cleared although the full moon is up. Taking in the area in Cas around the Bubble Nebula, Salt and Pepper etc. with the added bonus of the supernova, currently at magnitude 6.96 according to Stellarium, and definitely very obvious in my subs!

image.thumb.png.3921c4ba8bf4d6b33ce4108901cc5bec.png

You got a few good objects in that image.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, Padraic M said:

Good idea @gabs. I got that error last night "unable to make sufficient corrections in...". This was while calibrating, and as I had switched telescope from a short focal-length refractor to a long focal-length SCT, I had to change some of the calibration settings.

A couple of things to confirm tonight:

- Do these errors appear while you're calibrating or guiding?

- Check the bottom-right of your PHD2 screen.

image.png.05d4dbee41fb0948f65cbdfe31c874d3.png

"Cal" should be in green if you have calibrated. If it's red, calibration hasn't completed.

-Calibration works by stepping the mount so many steps West, then stepping back East the same number of steps. If all is well, it should be back on the guide star again but normally it will be a little bit out; it measures that distance, and uses uses it to calibrate RA. (then it repeats it for North and South for Dec). It needs to travel a certain distance to be effective; if the number of steps or the step size is too small, calibration will fail and will give you the message above.

The relevant settings are in PHD2 Advanced Settings -> Guiding -> Advanced...  Check that the settings for focal length and pixel size are correct here. You will know if you have an issue by watching calibration in action; it will say "Moving West 1 step... distance 2.5" and so on. If it gets to 12 steps ('calibration steps' setting) and the distance is less than 25 pixels ('Calibration distance, px' setting) it will say 'unable to make sufficient correction'. You can fix this either by changing the number of steps (it's fine to be anywhere between 10 and about 40).

image.thumb.png.a0b66cab213ee7bac98ad912b4ef0bad.png 

You need to get calibration to complete, preferrably without any warnings but some messages are ok. 'Cal' in the bottom right will go green and guiding will start. Calibration should ideally be done between 0 and 30 degrees Dec.

Hi thanks for your advice.

I didn’t have chance to check anything in the last two days because there is a storm. However cal was green . Now that makes me think that I need a proper calibration which I hope to do as soon as the storm

will leave Tuscany sky ..my only concern is the eq3 mount maybe not able to do a good guiding.

I was reading some posts before where people had the same issue using the same mount. I have also thought maybe a different guiding equipment... well before buying anything else I want to sort that problem.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, Carastro said:

Carole 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, PeterBolt said:

I am in down in Devon I am afraid.  I really hope someone can help.  I am sure with his enthusiasm he will get there very soon 🤞

On 7/23/2021 at 6:16 PM, AstronomyUkraine said:

I have a feeling the problem is something very simple, like the baud rate of his mount connection is different to the rate in EQmod. He can connect to the mount through the Syscan app, but not through Ascom and EQmod. I have read countless articles on how to connect his mount and they all say the same. EQdir cable to the hand controller port on the motor controller, the USB end to the laptop. No handset needs to be involved at all. The Synscan app could also have a conflict when trying to send or receive signal from PHD2, but it's difficult trying to fix a problem you can't see.

Thank you all, 

I really appreciate everything you are doing for me. Each one has already help me a lot in this journey I think is down to me to sort some hardware issue. I don’t expect to sort everything in few months. So far without you I couldn’t have any result and probably I have already gave up time ago.

I think when I will Be back to london I can do some improvement.  

I am not so sure but I think that probably part of my guiding issue can be related to cable or different laptop..

I will win this challenge I just need my time and put in place a good strategy 😃

• Like 2

@gabs I think the best advice for now is to relax and enjoy Tuscany!!!

Just about to set up for possibly the last clear night for the foreseeable. Rain on the way from tomorrow. I hope to do a second panel to join on to last night's Bubble/Salt'n'Pepper/Lobster Claw.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

@gabs I think the best advice for now is to relax and enjoy Tuscany!!!

Just about to set up for possibly the last clear night for the foreseeable. Rain on the way from tomorrow. I hope to do a second panel to join on to last night's Bubble/Salt'n'Pepper/Lobster Claw.

Oh thanks I am really enjoy here honestly put the scope outside just for observing is a massive pleasure with a dark sky. I managed to observe Neptune last night so quite happy with my observation😃

• Like 3

Setting up again. Hope to finish off the SII on the Propeller nebula tonight. Cloud rolled in last night, depriving me of two hours of imaging time. Need another 20x300s to finish my 10 hours. Then it's off to the Fishhead nebula to capture Ha data. Will leave the OIII data on the Propeller until the moon is no longer as bright.

• Like 2

Set up again here but a bit tenuous as there is rain forecast at some stage before morning. Currently a nice clear night with a big moon.

Hope to get an extra 3 hours on my Bubble/Lobster Claw 2x1 mosaic to add to the 6 already (across two panels - so 4.5 hours per panel total, HaRGB).

Progress so far in rough stretch Ha:

Bubble_mosaic-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1_session_2--90degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-St.thumb.jpg.4cfd4f228faced31e1dfcd52df267a09.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Set up again here but a bit tenuous as there is rain forecast at some stage before morning. Currently a nice clear night with a big moon.

Hope to get an extra 3 hours on my Bubble/Lobster Claw 2x1 mosaic to add to the 6 already (across two panels - so 4.5 hours per panel total, HaRGB).

Progress so far in rough stretch Ha:

Bubble_mosaic-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1_session_2--90degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-St.thumb.jpg.4cfd4f228faced31e1dfcd52df267a09.jpg

That looks amazing 

• Like 1

• Jkulin unpinned and locked this topic