July 2021 - Anybody playing tonight

It’s waning at the moment so hopefully it doesn’t cause much bother. We are down in Gloucestershire at the moment in Bortle 4 and last night the moon was low in the sky at 23:30 and due to the optical illusion looked huge. Unfortunately no imaging gear and our friends have decent binocs and an old SW 130 on manual EQ1 or 2 mount.

I collimated it yesterday morning with my laser but I think it has taken a knock on the very flimsy eyepiece focuser. I had to bend it back in the tube to get it anywhere near normal. Adjusting the mirror brought it closer back but not perfect.

They had had some building work done and it must have been damaged when it was packed away.

Anyway they are now looking for a decent goto scope so I am researching something around the £700 to £800 price point. Their interests are constellations, occasional planets (but not too fussed about that) and some bright galaxies but only from a visual point of view. So if anybody has any suggestions then they will be gratefully received.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

It’s waning at the moment so hopefully it doesn’t cause much bother. We are down in Gloucestershire at the moment in Bortle 4 and last night the moon was low in the sky at 23:30 and due to the optical illusion looked huge. Unfortunately no imaging gear and our friends have decent binocs and an old SW 130 on manual EQ1 or 2 mount.

I collimated it yesterday morning with my laser but I think it has taken a knock on the very flimsy eyepiece focuser. I had to bend it back in the tube to get it anywhere near normal. Adjusting the mirror brought it closer back but not perfect.

They had had some building work done and it must have been damaged when it was packed away.

Anyway they are now looking for a decent goto scope so I am researching something around the £700 to £800 price point. Their interests are constellations, occasional planets (but not too fussed about that) and some bright galaxies but only from a visual point of view. So if anybody has any suggestions then they will be gratefully received.

Just looking on the couple of sites I use regularly, both based in Germany. The options are quite limited due to delivery schedules, some gotos in that price range are only being delivered next year. The ones readily available are Maks, from Celestron, Skywatcher and Meade of course. There are a few reflectors, but depending on their experience, might not be the best choice.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/10/pr,500-1000/a,Teleskope.Montierung.GoTo=yes

Great. I was thinking Mak Goto too as the reflector they have is not in very good condition and is essentially being used as an ornament in one of their sunrooms.

I’ll have a look at that one you’ve linked Brian thanks.

11 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Great. I was thinking Mak Goto too as the reflector they have is not in very good condition and is essentially being used as an ornament in one of their sunrooms.

I’ll have a look at that one you’ve linked Brian thanks.

The link is 3 pages full of scopes Terry, with filters applied for price range and goto.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

Not even set up since I got back from Davey T's place, I was certainly pretty exhausted from the heatwave and being up until 3 - 4 am on 5 nights out of 6. 

I sold my Esprit as well during that time as it was just too heavy to be practical for me since I am always changing my kit around depending on the FOV and/or going to darker locations when I can, so am now back to  my doublets and trying to re-get the spacing right with the focal reducers, I now have 3 and am planning to have a reducer and spacers for each of my 3 scopes so I don't have to keep taking them apart when spacing get stuck anyway.  My pet hate job due to stuck spacers and never seeming to have the right sized ones. 

My next few nights will be tweaking the spacing and re-aligning my finderguider which has got out of line with the imaging scope.  

Carole