Jump to content

July 2021 - Anybody playing tonight


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gabs said:

Just found an interesting information for those that have my same finder scope as a guiding scope ( a sky watcher 9 x50 ) . It seems that to get a nice focus with an ASI 120 mm camera, the tighter rings has to be removed because once taken off it give you 12 mm of additional space which allows to focus . 
I hope that would helps someone 

I didn't know you were using one of those Gabs as I could have given you some advice. I have the exact same one that I use as a guide scope on one of my scopes with the ASI120MM. I use the adapter https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-sky-watcher-9x50-finder-to-c-adapter.html to attach the camera to the back end.

Then on experimentation I found I had to remove the threaded clamping collar (marked with a crude red arrow below) from the front of the guide scope as it couldn't achieve focus.

image.png.83a8773d77777664f2e0ef589ed2d087.png

 

The other part in front carries the lens and the removal of the clamping ring lets you screw the lens further in. 

The lens assembly is then loose however so I used some plumbers PTFE tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-2-PACK-Industrial-Sealant-520-Inch/dp/B071X6PC89 to create a tighter fit between the female and male threads.

Once set and focused on a bright star to get the smallest you can then you will not have to adjust the guide scope any more.

No need to get it perfect so Bahtinov masks are not required to set the guide scope.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

I am Going in Italy end of this week. Not so sure I will be able to get them before leaving or I can try to see what I can find in Rome. Thank you !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I didn't know you were using one of those Gabs as I could have given you some advice. I have the exact same one that I use as a guide scope on one of my scopes with the ASI120MM. I use the adapter https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-sky-watcher-9x50-finder-to-c-adapter.html to attach the camera to the back end.

Then on experimentation I found I had to remove the threaded clamping collar (marked with a crude red arrow below) from the front of the guide scope as it couldn't achieve focus.

image.png.83a8773d77777664f2e0ef589ed2d087.png

 

The other part in front carries the lens and the removal of the clamping ring lets you screw the lens further in. 

The lens assembly is then loose however so I used some plumbers PTFE tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-2-PACK-Industrial-Sealant-520-Inch/dp/B071X6PC89 to create a tighter fit between the female and male threads.

Once set and focused on a bright star to get the smallest you can then you will not have to adjust the guide scope any more.

No need to get it perfect so Bahtinov masks are not required to set the guide scope.

 

Perfect that may be the answer to my focus issue . I thought the tighter ring shouldn’t be there when using the finder scope with camera . Thank you so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

All ready to go. Last night was a failure, some late cloud spoiled the party. Tonight looks a lot more promising. Capturing OIII and Ha data on the Crescent nebula.

I am ready too ! Good luck to you for tonight !

i hope to sort with the guiding scope ... I wasn’t able to use it last time now I removed the clamp ring 🤞

C3AEC4B3-931E-426B-B51E-1E95B5F2FDDC.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

What is your target tonight?

 

I am working to get a decent image of the m13 I managed to do something some weeks ago. 
if I am not wrong in the same constellation there are few nice target close to M13 like NCG6207? 

Edited by gabs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gabs said:

I am working to get a decent image of the m13 I managed to do something some weeks ago. 
if I am not wrong in the same constellation there are few nice target close to M13 like NCG6207? 

M92 is quite close to M13, and it is higher in the sky. Be less light pollution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, gabs said:

I may take a chance then ! 

Good luck tonight! I have to smile, you've made a lot of progress, and bought a lot of stuff, since your first post here a few weeks ago! It also feels like you're about to take a major step up in your imaging once you get your guiding sorted out 🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

Good luck tonight! I have to smile, you've made a lot of progress, and bought a lot of stuff, since your first post here a few weeks ago! It also feels like you're about to take a major step up in your imaging once you get your guiding sorted out 🙂

 

Thanks you so much ... yes AP is something that I really like it.. it help my mental health and anxiety quite a lot and you people here are so kind to me that I have never been considered so much before. I don’t know you personally but I think you are all great people! Thanks again

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gabs said:

Thanks you so much ... yes AP is something that I really like it.. it help my mental health and anxiety quite a lot and you people here are so kind to me that I have never been considered so much before. I don’t know you personally but I think you are all great people! Thanks again

I think I am still out of focus on Vega and un able to guide! 😠

56534A0F-B698-4B6F-8D47-9C00A666700F.jpeg

60523C7E-DA69-481F-B2EE-0D901B7E1675.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, gabs said:

I think I am still out of focus on Vega and un able to guide! 😠

56534A0F-B698-4B6F-8D47-9C00A666700F.jpeg

60523C7E-DA69-481F-B2EE-0D901B7E1675.jpeg

That's way out of focus. Check to see which way you think the focuser needs move to achieve focus. This will determine if you need to take off the extension tube on the camera, or add another tube.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gabs said:

Thanks you so much ... yes AP is something that I really like it.. it help my mental health and anxiety quite a lot and you people here are so kind to me that I have never been considered so much before. I don’t know you personally but I think you are all great people! Thanks again

Hi Gabs

Although I am not doing AP I have followed your posts with interest as it seems we have both embarked into a new interest at a similar time. Although you into AP and me observing. Even as someone who doesn’t understand much about AP, I can see that you are putting a lot of time and effort into it and the improvements are showing.

i completely agree with your remarks re the forum: what a great bunch of people.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gabs said:

I think I am still out of focus on Vega and un able to guide! 😠

56534A0F-B698-4B6F-8D47-9C00A666700F.jpeg

60523C7E-DA69-481F-B2EE-0D901B7E1675.jpeg

 

I really would recommend trying to set an initial focus in the day time when you don't have the pressure of imaging. If you select a far away object you can take your time and find a good starting point for when it gets dark.  Just a thought...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick shot of sunspot 2842 in white light.

As an experiment using the PI4 with Firecapture writing to an external Samsung SSD. A lot quicker than the internal card and a decent frame rate when the ROI is set low. Very pleased with the SSD when connected to the PI.

 

The PI is currently at 66C which I expect with high speed capturing going on.

 

astroberry@astroberry64:~ $ ./my-pi-temp.sh 
Wed 14 Jul 09:40:07 BST 2021 @ astroberry64
-------------------------------------------
GPU => temp=65.7'C
CPU => 66'C

 

PI4 is in a Flirc case with no forced air cooling.

 

Full disk getting 33 FPS with ROI of 1960x1784 from the ASI183MM

 

image.thumb.png.68c4beaea69bcf1060829e11a993b239.png

 

I set the ROI to just frame the spot and edge and got a faster frame rate of 130FPS and I processed it in AutoStakkert, RegiStax6 and Photoshop CC2021 to see the results

 

 

image.thumb.png.b90d3768dca16716f2035e6871ced139.png

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PeterBolt said:

 

I really would recommend trying to set an initial focus in the day time when you don't have the pressure of imaging. If you select a far away object you can take your time and find a good starting point for when it gets dark.  Just a thought...

I am can trying of course let’s see if there is any improvement thank you guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PeterBolt said:

 

I really would recommend trying to set an initial focus in the day time when you don't have the pressure of imaging. If you select a far away object you can take your time and find a good starting point for when it gets dark.  Just a thought...

Hi I removed the extension tube . I am trying to focus to a roof but there is not improved. I really don’t know what else to do. I don’t see anything on my screen ... 

1260E972-C5C7-4579-9207-5A0B83FA0047.jpeg

image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gabs said:

Hi I removed the extension tube . I am trying to focus to a roof but there is not improved. I really don’t know what else to do. I don’t see anything on my screen ... 

1260E972-C5C7-4579-9207-5A0B83FA0047.jpeg

image.jpg

 

Try to focus on something a couple of miles away if possible.

 

Here are a couple of videos that might help:

 

 

 

 

Edited by PeterBolt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PeterBolt said:

 

Try to focus on something a couple of miles away if possible.

 

Here are a couple of videos that might help:

 

 

 

 

I think I sorted...basically I used sharp cap to focus the target rather than do the same on PHD2 

image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jkulin unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...