July 2021 - Anybody playing tonight

23 hours ago, PeterBolt said:

Brilliant!  looking good.  Fingers crossed for a clear night!  Good luck!

Last night I managed to get a decent focus on the guide scope, so PHD2 was start to guiding when I received the error message : not able to make sufficient correction in R.A.

I have made a quick research and it seems to be very common issue for beginners.

a wrong polar alignment, not balanced scope, wrong calibration and so on.  I have attached copy of the log file.

Thinking that my polar alignment wasn't perfect i tried to do it again with sharpcap but I was stuck to the first step where it was trying to detect 12 stars.

I think i need to calibrate again my camera and make new dark frames ....

PHD2_GuideLog_2021-07-14_102417.txt

Edited by gabs

3 hours ago, gabs said:

Last night I managed to get a decent focus on the guide scope, so PHD2 was start to guiding when I received the error message : not able to make sufficient correction in R.A.

I have made a quick research and it seems to be very common issue for beginners.

a wrong polar alignment, not balanced scope, wrong calibration and so on.  I have attached copy of the log file.

Thinking that my polar alignment wasn't perfect i tried to do it again with sharpcap but I was stuck to the first step where it was trying to detect 12 stars.

PHD2_GuideLog_2021-07-14_102417.txt 86.36 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry but I've only ever had that message when either I have lost communication with the mount or something is physically stopping the mount from moving... snagged cable, scope hitting tripod etc. 

Other than that maybe some of the more experienced people will have some better ideas....

6 hours ago, gabs said:

PHD2_GuideLog_2021-07-14_102417.txt 86.36 kB · 3 downloads

Here are my settings I use for polar alignment. They should be good for your setup.

Untitled-1.png.dd1f53c3cdeccc5872557859cd5f260b.png

To get good guiding, make sure polar alignment is as good as you can get it. You don't need to find 12 stars in Sharpcap, when Sharpcap displays image solved in green letters, you are good to go. After polar alignment, do your 3 star align, then calibrate your guide setup in PHD2. Once calibrated, don't forget to run the guiding assistant. Apply all settings it recommends by clicking on the buttons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Here are my settings I use for polar alignment. They should be good for your setup.

Untitled-1.png.dd1f53c3cdeccc5872557859cd5f260b.png

To get good guiding, make sure polar alignment is as good as you can get it. You don't need to find 12 stars in Sharpcap, when Sharpcap displays image solved in green letters, you are good to go. After polar alignment, do your 3 star align, then calibrate your guide setup in PHD2. Once calibrated, don't forget to run the guiding assistant. Apply all settings it recommends by clicking on the buttons.

Thank you ! So much I hope this time to be luckier!

14 minutes ago, gabs said:

Thank you ! So much I hope this time to be luckier!

Does it makes any difference for a polar alignment with sharp cap if the guiding scope is installed in the show bracket rather than on the main scope ? D588693B-6FFE-449F-AB24-4C78EA5E0F0E.thumb.jpeg.c7340402a01049408c767657d7924db0.jpeg

Does it makes any difference for a polar alignment with sharp cap if the guiding scope is installed in the show bracket rather than on the main scope ? D588693B-6FFE-449F-AB24-4C78EA5E0F0E.thumb.jpeg.c7340402a01049408c767657d7924db0.jpeg

Not at all, as long as it is secure, with no movement whatsoever. One thing you might do is secure your cables, wind blowing on your cables can affect guiding.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Not at all, as long as it is secure, with no movement whatsoever. One thing you might do is secure your cables, wind blowing on your cables can affect guiding.

Ok good to know that! Thanks I will do that.

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Work shouldn't get in the way of pleasure. 🤣

I agree ... I have a new message tonight from PHD2 . I am getting exhausted of that..

B5517120-C404-4E25-AC84-B95CEE568261.jpeg

Just now, AstronomyUkraine said:

Did you run the guiding assistant after calibrating in PHD2?

Yes it says to do a fresh calibration but I have no clue how to do that 

Yes it says to do a fresh calibration but I have no clue how to do that 

Search for the star called HIP 101936 in your hand controller, that is a good star to calibrate from. Start PHD 2 when you have slewed to the target, then shift click on the green guide button, that will start the calibration process. After that, run the guiding assistant again. Any star due South on the Equator, to the West of the meridian is a good star to calibrate from.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Search for the star called HIP 101936 in your hand controller, that is a good star to calibrate from. Start PHD 2 when you have slewed to the target, then shift click on the green guide button, that will start the calibration process. After that, run the guiding assistant again.

Thanks but it seems it doesn’t have this star in the catalog.

Just finishing off 2 hours on the Tulip, first imaging I've done for weeks, and of course, software issues. Roof automation borked by a Win-Dross update.

Still, it's quite clear tonight with the milky way showing good structure down to the horizon, including the Lagoon naked eye.

• Like 1

• Jkulin unpinned and locked this topic