New owner of a Celestron Super C8 Plus!

8 hours ago, Nightspore said:

There is an online web version. If you have an Android phone or tablet SkyPortal  is basically a free version of SkySafari. 

6mkyDFO.png

I used it on a Chromebook and an Asus tablet for quite a while until I upgraded to SkySafari Pro. The freeware Celestron app is based on the same rendering engine as SkySafari and has a lot of the same functionality. 

C9elOYB.png

It's well worth downloading if you have an Android device.

IFsHkEK.jpg

The pictures above are SkyPortal on a tablet. The picture below is SkySafari 6 Pro on macOS. You can see how similar they are. Although I used Stellarium for over a decade I tend to plan most of my sessions in SkySafari nowadays. 

4ueFaH2.jpg

Thank you!  I just installed SkyPortal on my cell phone.  I also installed Stellarium  on my phone and desktop.  I will be installing it on my laptop at some point down the road, probably when I get a camera!  I can't wait to check them both out. I haven't had much time to do so!

13 hours ago, Marmot said:

Considering those are your first images, I think they are great. There is a lot of detail on your moon shot.

Your remarks re the speed that the moon drifts out of view are so true! I am purely an observer, but viewing the moon always feels like you’re chasing it across the sky. Sometimes I find that by the time I have changed eyepieces, it has gone out of view. For this reason I prefer to view it with an eyepiece with a slightly wider FOV so it stays in view a bit longer.

Thank you, I'm very happy with them, considering what I have for equipment.  It was crazy how fast the moon went out of view.  I'm happy that my scope has a motor, once that was plugged in, it was much better.  I have the adapter to change the aperture to f6.3 in my wish list!  Yes, that list is getting long!

41 minutes ago, drstratton said:

Thank you!  I just installed SkyPortal on my cell phone.  I also installed Stellarium  on my phone and desktop.  I will be installing it on my laptop at some point down the road, probably when I get a camera!  I can't wait to check them both out. I haven't had much time to do so!

Have fun!

• Like 1