Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Polarscope Reticule Advice Please

Scopeman

Need some advice on an EQ6R Pro Polarscope reticule on my new mount please. When the mount is all level and set up in the home position, should the '0' on the Polarscope reticule scale be in the 12 O'clock position? My '0' seems to be at the 1 O'clock position? I was told to just undo the RA clamp and adjust it so the '0' is at the 12 O'clock position which is fine but the how does that affect the home position of the mount as the RA is slightly off level?  Or do I simply adjust the RA and then once aligned just return it back to its home position? I'm confused, lol HELP!!

I would say you have to get the RA level first. I take it the RA has to be rotated 90º to put the counterweight shaft horizontal so the polar scope can be used.

Yeah, all that is done, it's all level, Dec at 90 degrees, I can see through Polarscope fine, it's just the zero on the glass reticule is not straight up, it's slightly over to one side. I would assume I just turn the RA until the 0 is back up top, do the alignment and then set the mount back to its home position right? Btw, the polar reticule is aligned to the RA axis of the mount, I checked all that and it's fine. I just wasn't sure whether if I moved the RA axis so it read zero on the glass reticule would then affect the alignment whan I set the mount back to its home position or not.

Get Polemaster to prevent these problems , dont contort yourself to look through the scopes reticule i have never done it that way its too hit and miss and find polemaster very easy , accurate and quick.

HTH

Roger

23 hours ago, Scopeman said:

I would assume I just turn the RA until the 0 is back up top, do the alignment and then set the mount back to its home position right?

Sounds correct to me. Also sounds like you home position is slightly off then.