August 2021 - Anyone playing tonight

Jkulin

I was in Bortle 3 this weekend and no scope but had gone to visit friends in Cumbria about 5 miles south of Appleby in the east. 

Friday night was incredible. I had not seen so many stars, the milky way and meteors with my naked eyes for years. We spent about 30 minutes out in the fresh air on the Friday night just looking up at the sky. The milky way was clearly visible.

We caught the remnants of the Perseids probably one meteor per minute.

As a bonus we could see Jupiter glowing brightly in the sky.

Next night was back to normal, clouds from horizon to horizon. I may have to either move to the area or ask my friends to host a remote observatory for me for rental of course.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2021 at 10:53 AM, AstronomyUkraine said:

The forecast doesn't look promising for the rest of August in the UK.

Hello beautiful people , is always good to pop in here and see what marvellous things you are doing.

at the moment I have a very limited access to my gear due to garden issue and mainly because the sky is so bad.

To keep my self busy and active I am keep searching and trying to sort my guiding issue. I recently bought a pole master and a better tripode (eq5) I tested both and it seem they work perfectly.

i hope to be back to enjoy my garden and gear very soon.

to all,  I wish you wonderful nights…full of stars! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gabs said:

Hello beautiful people , is always good to pop in here and see what marvellous things you are doing.

at the moment I have a very limited access to my gear due to garden issue and mainly because the sky is so bad.

To keep my self busy and active I am keep searching and trying to sort my guiding issue. I recently bought a pole master and a better tripode (eq5) I tested both and it seem they work perfectly.

i hope to be back to enjoy my garden and gear very soon.

to all,  I wish you wonderful nights…full of stars! 

Nice to hear you have a new tripod, should make guiding a good deal easier for you. Hope your garden gets fixed shortly, and the weather clears up.

• Like 1

Couldn't sleep last night so popped out for a smoke and a drop of whiskey. Lo and behold ! I see stars, lots  and lots of stars, magnificently clear stars. Grabbed my 7x50 bino's and had a hunt around, Pleiades were looking pin sharp and so clear, gave up trying to count how many stars I could pick out in the cluster but there were loads. Scooted over to Jupiter which was looking fine, picked out 2 of the moons clearly. 

Finally hopped over to Andromeda, normally on a good night I can only make out the core and a little fuzz around it, last night was a revelation. I could easily make out the intermediate dust and some approaching the outer third. 😁

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Came back to the city at the weekend - popped outside on Sunday night, very clear sky and I could only see a handful of stars (Vega, Deneb, Altair and a few others). 😟 I miss dark skies!

It happens to me every time I go to visit my dad in the country side in Italy.

Starry  nights like a van goth paint and when I return in London I miss the sky there and ( of course ) his homemade wine 🙂 .

I understand your feeling

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Padraic M said:

I think full moon actually guarantees clear skies these days? Better pick some nice H-alpha target.

image.thumb.png.576c4a05a18f647e5e9717d9359d2807.png

here ( London) it seems next Monday night may be good !

🤞 

978690E3-81A5-4A23-AE25-6ED1031FAD28.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterBolt said:

Looks like I might finally have a clear sky tonight 🤞 typically it's during a full moon 🤔 Can anyone suggest a suitable target? I'm using a DSLR.  I was considering the Fireworks Galaxy.

M33 is a good target for a dslr, as long as you have a good view East. It rises about 10pm and is well away from the moon.

• Like 1

• TerryMcK unpinned and locked this topic