Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

SpyderX

AstronomyUkraine

I have just purchased a SpyderX Pro to calibrate our monitors at home. The monitor I use is a fairly new LG monitor, so I didn't think it would take much adjusting, how wrong was I, my images look a lot cleaner and crisper with the new calibration settings.

It's a fairly expensive piece of kit for something that is a one trick pony, but having spent way more on a filter than the SpyderX, overall it's a cheap investment at around 200 euro. The SpyderX itself is very straightforward to use and setup. Once it is registered, it can be used on any monitor without re-registering it. The SpyderX works on both monitors and laptops, it also allows for different profiles to be saved - ie: one for daylight work, and one for evening work under false lighting. You also have the option of choosing which colour space you want applying to a particular profile, Adobe RGB for images, sRGB for websites, NTSC for video work, and one more which I forget the name of. The SpyderX measures the ambient light in your room during calibration, and adjusts the monitor accordingly. Swapping between your saved profiles is as simple as right clicking on your desktop, and choosing display settings. There you can choose which profile you want to use.

If you want your images to look their best, I would recommend this piece of kit, after all, spending 1000s on astrophography equipment, only to be let down by the final process seems crazy to me.

I have had one for quite a while and use it to calibrate my monitors. I have set the reminder to be every 2 months rather than every month. I find I have to calibrate in a darkish room and pull the blinds to do it and have no overhead lights.

Also I found that the counter weighted “lid” or cover needed sliding up the cable so it hung over the back of the monitor. The monitors need tilting to about 30 degrees back so the spider stays in the right place.

But other than that I find it easy to use and very consistent across each of the monitors.

I have a dual screen setup on my processing PC and when dragging the image from one screen to another it is identical in colour, brightness, contrast etc.

25 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I have had one for quite a while and use it to calibrate my monitors. I have set the reminder to be every 2 months rather than every month. I find I have to calibrate in a darkish room and pull the blinds to do it and have no overhead lights.

Also I found that the counter weighted “lid” or cover needed sliding up the cable so it hung over the back of the monitor. The monitors need tilting to about 30 degrees back so the spider stays in the right place.

But other than that I find it easy to use and very consistent across each of the monitors.

I have a dual screen setup on my processing PC and when dragging the image from one screen to another it is identical in colour, brightness, contrast etc.

So you don't calibrate with the lights on, Terry? It took me a few minutes to realise the counterweight was adjustable, as there are no instructions whatsover in the box.

No Brian when calibrating I try to keep the lighting fairly dim, not blackout, but just lowish. Otherwise it complains and says the ambient light is too high. I have 5 monitors on the desk and turn off the other 3 while calibrating the processing PC.

I tried to contact SpiderX to ask how to adjust the counter weight and got no reply. So I had a look at it and the cable is not firmly clamped and with a gentle tug will move on the cable.

Here is the supervisor Amber - I guess she is attracted by the mice. The 3 screens on the left are for the work computer whilst the ones on the right hand side are the important ones 😉

41ECA3E2-A157-47A3-87EC-CDB646B78A90.thumb.jpeg.36d0cbfda025a882a706e79e9708c74b.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Here is the supervisor Amber - I guess she is attracted by the mice. The 3 screens on the left are for the work computer whilst the ones on the right hand side are the important ones

I have two cats here. During the day they like to sunbathe on the concrete pad I use for my scope. So when I'm imaging, they think nothing of walking through the cables and playing with them. 😁

• Like 1