Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

60 and 120 sec single exposure with guiding scope

gabs

I am trying to understand what is wrong with my mount but I managed ( finally ) to get an exposure of 60 a without evident star trailing.

Also I took a 120 sec exposure before clouds came to ruin the magic moment but you can see both pics are effected by clouds.

I am still unable to use PHD 2 as I wish but i think there is something wrong with the mechanism mount..🙄

I am using pole master for polar alignment and it's brilliant !

I added screenshots of PHD2 and EQMOD ( I am not using the guiding port by the way ) 🙂

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Single__0026_ISO800_60s__23C.CR2 Single__0028_ISO800_120s__23C.CR2

You should take Darks for PHD2 by leaving the cap on and selecting Darks in PHD2 options , ideally in darkness in case of light leak. This will stop noise artifacts being selected as stars in PHD2.

image.png.9a8558c1bfd1ee5954c5b541127ede41.png

This is one of my Darks from myAtik460 , see how they look like stars. Also take the "TRENDLINES" off the display as it confuses the issue. I am sorry i cant help with the mount issues.

Roger

Edited by ApophisAstros
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gabs said:

I am still unable to use PHD 2 as I wish but i think there is something wrong with the mechanism mount..🙄

I am using pole master for polar alignment and it's brilliant !

I added screenshots of PHD2 and EQMOD ( I am not using the guiding port by the way ) 🙂

If your polar alignment is good, and your scope is perfectly balanced in both axis, then the likely culprit is the mount. Maybe the worm gear needs adjusting in both axis. It's a simple procedure, but can take a while to get perfect. I noticed your pulsguide settings are a little low, try using 0.5x in both axis.

Have you managed to run the guiding assistant yet?

9 hours ago, ApophisAstros said:

You should take Darks for PHD2 by leaving the cap on and selecting Darks in PHD2 options , ideally in darkness in case of light leak. This will stop noise artifacts being selected as stars in PHD2.

image.png.9a8558c1bfd1ee5954c5b541127ede41.png

This is one of my Darks from myAtik460 , see how they look like stars. Also take the "TRENDLINES" off the display as it confuses the issue. I am sorry i cant help with the mount issues.

Roger

9 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

If your polar alignment is good, and your scope is perfectly balanced in both axis, then the likely culprit is the mount. Maybe the worm gear needs adjusting in both axis. It's a simple procedure, but can take a while to get perfect. I noticed your pulsguide settings are a little low, try using 0.5x in both axis.

Have you managed to run the guiding assistant yet?

Thanks you both,

yes dark frame library is one of the first thing i did when i set a new profile using wizard.

I will increase the rate to x0.5 and see if it gets better but at 0.2 after I managed to keep everything under 1.

The mount seems to respond well to guiding impulse.

I am happy to see that something is moving in the right direction!

18 minutes ago, gabs said:

Thanks you both,

yes dark frame library is one of the first thing i did when i set a new profile using wizard.

I will increase the rate to x0.5 and see if it gets better but at 0.2 after I managed to keep everything under 1.

The mount seems to respond well to guiding impulse.

I am happy to see that something is moving in the right direction!

Don't expect miracles when the seeing is bad. If your guide star is over 5.0 HFD or has a flat top, you won't get great guiding. Seeing can improve or get worse in an instance, just let the guidescope run for a few minutes before adjusting anything. If the seeing is good, you can increase the exposure from 1.5s up to 3.0. The guiding assistant will tell you the best exposure time for your setup, amongst other settings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Don't expect miracles when the seeing is bad. If your guide star is over 5.0 HFD or has a flat top, you won't get great guiding. Seeing can improve or get worse in an instance, just let the guidescope run for a few minutes before adjusting anything. If the seeing is good, you can increase the exposure from 1.5s up to 3.0. The guiding assistant will tell you the best exposure time for your setup, amongst other settings.

Cheers I will keep it in mind for the next time.

I have to use once used PHD2 seems to be easy to understand to help myself a bit more I set the software in Italian 🤣🤫

• Like 1