Weird artifact in a OSC sub.

ApophisAstros

it's an odd one. I looked in Stellarium as I have it configured to have all the artificial satellites that are known about installed. Nothing passed the ocular view whilst I was zoomed in on the target around those times. Mind you the Stellarium satellite DB might not be aware of everything - military for instance.

• Like 1

My guess would be that it started imaging before the mount had stopped moving - after a dither perhaps. The track only shows on the brightest star. And the way it leads right into the centre of the star is suggestive. But I could be entirely wrong!

Looking at the enlarged sub I see at least three faint straight parallel tracks running 11 'o' clock to 4 'o' clock leading to less brighter stars but going in the opposite direction to the brightest track! If its a single sub its a very strange one.  As has been suggested lots of final positioning during a dither might be happening but I would throw in a glitched readout that is giving you a ghosted image.

So @ApophisAstros, when are you going to tell us the answer??? 🙂

The bright trail can't be extra-orbital in origin as what could possibly change direction so easily? I'd suspect either a firework or star trail as mentioned above combined with a Starlink constellation for the 11oc-4oc trails as the most likely solution.

Have you platesolved and proved that the bright 'stars' at the end of each trail are actually stars? Is that bright star really Eta Cyg?

Ok.

By the way i dont know what it is and seasoned astro people i have shown it to dont know and have never seen anything like it. If is as you say we should have seen often before because you reasons happen all the time ie guiding errors or knocking scope whech cant happen as i image indoors.?

Have you ever seen anything resembling it.

Roger

e911bde1-bbe1-4f31-880e-f6bd7dc41d42-1629914841.jpg

Astrometry.net logo

Edited by ApophisAstros

Almost certainly a wobble just as the camera is starting to take an image. Only the brightest stars will show a trail depending on how long the exposure was before it settled.

You could always try to recreate it using 1 second, 1/2 second, 1/4 second exposures etc.

Was it the first sub of the sequence ?

that looks like a mount issue to me....its only visible on the brightest star as the mount will have moved quite quickly and its that star that is bright enough to leave a trail....possibly starting an exposure on a 'goto' slew

Edited by peter shah