Cygnus Loop Super Nova Remnant

Astrobdlbug

Hi everyone - very popular target this month, - I have 2 panels worth of subs and integrated into the image below, this image is 50% resized

The processed  original is 7183 x 6160 and 213Mb - so rather large dataset to upload and view

The captured image scale is 1.45arcSec/Pixel

each panel is 4 hours of data, so 8 hrs in total for mosaic image

Taken with ASI2600MC-Pro and Optolong L-Extreme dual bandpass filter Ha/Oiii

Aquired with Rpi running astroberry/Kstars/Ekos

Integrated with APP, Processed with PI and PS

Bryan

LAYPZqHm0SWU_16536x0_2w2d88Mg.jpg

Edited by Astrobdlbug
Updated - Re-balanced the background and lifted the levels overall as it was a bit dark
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, paul said:

Did you use your AT106?

Yes, used my AT106EDT with the Riccardi 0.75X FR/FF.

The

10 hours ago, paul said:

I like the clarity you have achieved in your filaments and wisps.

The ASI2600MC-Pro is a real performer, as discussed in other topics and threads, its sensitivity is outstanding and why images using it can pull detail from relatively short integration times

It was quite a processing challenge to get the filiments defined without blowing them away by over stretching.

I used APP to initially intergrate both panels, then put the two panel integration back into APP with mosaic mode, I did it this way rather than load 240 subs into APP and see if it would integrate in mosaic mode.

I then use Pixinsight, Dynamic Crop and Dynamic background extraction followed by the Ez-Deconv script - I did try to go down PI only route by  using TGVDenoise and ArcSin stretch followed by HDR Morphological transforms  and Local Histogram Equalisation to enhance the filiments, but I couldnt get a result I was happy with.

So took the linear deconvolved mosaic into Photoshop and used incremental stretches to get to a point I was happy with and then used the new Absolute Point Focus, APF-R plugin to give some controlled sharpening without 'blinging' the stars. I use curves and 'flatten' the top part of the curve to keep the stars from being over stretched and 'pin' the bottom so I dont take the background above the noise level.

I then created a number of different masked stretches to bring out the lower brightness nebulousity regions , so  a HDR, High Dynamic Range, combination - same process as used on Orion nebula Trapezium Cluster.

Finally used denoise on the background, again a masking process as I didnt want to denoise the image too much as it gives a 'plastic'y' look to the final image - I then only applied the denoised background with about 60% blend.

The one thing that I wasnt too happy with is that the subs I got last Friday night were blighted with thin high clouds, so although I got a lot of detail there is a slight 'misty' effect around some of the stars I couldn't process out and why I applied quite a bit of backrgound denoise and colour balance as the high cloud bias everything to the red channel.

Anyway - probably more explaination there that needed, but hopefully a bit of insight into my approach(s) to processing

Bryan

Edited by Astrobdlbug
  • Like 1

I appreciate the generous sharing 👍 I think we shared the same clouds too! 

Your description certainly gave me new insight and plenty of tips that are much appreciated! I'll try a few of those steps, I am interested that you used deconvolution quite early in your process, I tend to use it  as a final touch but I am very much still experimenting.

Edited by paul
  • Thanks 1