Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Mono Cameras

RPK_Astro

My original plan was to defer mono for some time whilst I get to grips with using a DSLR etc. However, the last 12 months of utterly abysmal weather, plus nagging from colleagues 🙂 has suggested moving mono further up the agenda so that I can get some NB images even if there is Moon about...

My main scope is an SW Esprit 100, which has a 550mm focal length. I do have a C8 with a 2,000mm fl, but I realise that needs a different camera, so we can ignore it for the moment. Mount in an HEQ5. 

A suggested camera from @Wyvern has been the QHY268M. However, whilst it ticks all my boxes, one it doesn't is the hefty price tag of pushing £2k, especially given I'm going to need an EFW and at least 3 NB filters as well... (and probably LRGB in due course).

I'd be grateful for some ideas. I'd really prefer to keep the whole package to £2k. If that's unrealistic, I won't be offended if you say so 😀 I'll just have to hold fire and save my pennies longer. 

Edited by RPK_Astro

The ZWO ASI183mm PRO plus ZWO 8 or 5 position filter wheel with a set of Baader 3.5 nm filters will suit your 100 well. No undersampling or oversampling with its small 2.4 um pixels. I have 183s and they work well for my Redcat up to my WO103 which is similar to your SW ES 100

It should come within your budget too.

While I was one of the naggers, I don't use the modern CMOS cameras, I am still using CCD and don't intend changing, so know nothing about the CMOS cameras, so sorry I can't advise.

However I think you are doing the right thing and won't regret it.  I have never gone back to DSLR since 2012 when I changed to mono, except for the occasional time when I had to take travel Astro gear on a plane plus some milky way, lunar eclipse and comets shots.  

Carole  

• Like 1

As Terry said above, the 183 looks like a good option; I have the very popular old workhorse the ASI1600MM Pro and I love it. The pixel ratio on your 100 will be 1.425"/px which is in the good zone. I use it with the Esprit 80 and it works seamlessly (pixel ratio 1.9"/px). I also have the C8, with the 0.63x focal reducer and an OAG, and it's not an easy beast to tame. I still haven't decided if it's worth taking the time with it. Compared to the C8, the Esprit is a real pussycat which is to be expected I suppose.

If you will only ever do narrowband, you could go for a 5-position filter wheel. Obviously the 7-position wheels give you RGB as well. The ZWO filters aren't the best out there. I have the Baader 3.5nm Ha and their RGB filters which work a treat, and while the Baaders are not cheap, they're not horrendously priced like some of the other good brands. From what I've read, it is better to spend the money for the narrower bands like the 3.5nm range.

• Like 1

How about the second hand market. Should be able to get a used Starlight Xpress CCD within budget, built in the UK so if there's a problem they're easier to get fixed.