Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

NGC 281 PACMAN NEBULA

gabs

Here there is my version of the Pacman Nebula.

6.5 hour exposure ISO 800 with  Canon 120 d and clip filter.

Processed in GIMP..

comments are welcome.

Grazie!

NGC 281 PAC MAN NEBULA.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gabs said:

Here there is my version of the Pacman Nebula.

6.5 hour exposure ISO 800 with  Canon 120 d and clip filter.

Processed in GIMP..

comments are welcome.

Grazie!

NGC 281 PAC MAN NEBULA.jpg

Really good. Plenty of signal and round stars. You are improving all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Really good. Plenty of signal and round stars. You are improving all the time.

thank you so much! it means a lot to me I really appreciate your comments

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gabs said:

thank you so much! it means a lot to me I really appreciate your comments

The more data you add, the better it will become. 6 hours might sound a lot, but really you need at least double that to get more detail and background nebula. Good work though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

The more data you add, the better it will become. 6 hours might sound a lot, but really you need at least double that to get more detail and background nebula. Good work though.

I will keep in mind.. i am trying to get as much data as i can on the M31..maybe in three different nights,,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gabs said:

I will keep in mind.. i am trying to get as much data as i can on the M31..maybe in three different nights,,

M31 is a good target, just need to watch you don't blow out the core, it's very bright.

• Like 1

Good work Gabs. I think I can see some dust spots that should have been removed in integration by the flats. What stacking software are you using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Good work Gabs. I think I can see some dust spots that should have been removed in integration by the flats. What stacking software are you using?

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Thank you so much!

I am currently using DSS but I am thinking to use pixinsight soon.

Dust spots are always an issue to me especially if they are in the middle of FOV, not so sure why I get them when I keep lens, camera, filter etc dust free and cleaned regularly  I am not looking for a perfect picture at this stage but just getting familiar with post processing and calibration.

I am also thinking to get a different clip filter for me DSLR a narrowband for example. So I should be able to catch more details !😛

• Like 1

I couldn’t done anything without everybody’s help here!

thank to you guys for all advices so far … I am sure I will still need more!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gabs said:

I am also thinking to get a different clip filter for me DSLR a narrowband for example. So I should be able to catch more details !😛

Which filter do you want to buy?

1 hour ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Which filter do you want to buy?

I think that is good for what I need.

what do you think?

A87AC039-F852-498E-A582-93CF9B333303.png

4 minutes ago, gabs said:

I think that is good for what I need.

what do you think?

A87AC039-F852-498E-A582-93CF9B333303.png

Yes it will do a good job in your light polluted sky. Should allow you to take longer exposures too.

• Like 1

You might like to consider the 2" version instead as that can mount inside your telescope, or can be put into a filter drawer  and can be used when you upgrade to an astronomy camera. A little more expensive but future proofing. I'm not familiar with the Skytech brand as I use IDAS D2 (great to get rid of LED pollution) and Altair Triband filters (does Ha and OIII/Hb bands) with my OSC. They also can be used with the DSLR acting as the sensor too.

• Like 1

Although I know nothing about AP, I would like to say that I enjoy viewing all the images that are posted here and I have definitely noticed that yours appear to be improving quite noticeably. It makes me wonder what they will be like in another 12months if you continue to progress at the same rate. A nice glass of (Italian) red wine is well deserved to celebrate!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Marmot said:

Although I know nothing about AP, I would like to say that I enjoy viewing all the images that are posted here and I have definitely noticed that yours appear to be improving quite noticeably. It makes me wonder what they will be like in another 12months if you continue to progress at the same rate. A nice glass of (Italian) red wine is well deserved to celebrate!

Ahah thank you so much!

I guess the better result can be achieved with a good quality Italian wine… I am going to buy a bottle of Barolo for my next target!

7 minutes ago, paul said:

I'm impressed Gabs , there is a lot to like about your Pacman👍

Thank you Paul much appreciated!

46 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

That's a very nice Pacman gabs. It's not an easy target to capture.

Thank you! 

I think with more hours I could get more details but I am happy with what I got!