Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Connection of accesories to Hypercam USB 2 ports

Astrophel

Hi, I'm after some help regarding the USB x2 hub on the rear of the Altair hyper cam 183 pro tec.

Tried looking on the website site regarding connection of USB hub from camera but unable to find anything, so any help would be appreciated.

Am I right in thinking that you are able to connect your guide cam and your focuser to this usb hub at the back of this camera through the 2 USB port hub?

I am then presuming if so that the data from this hub is then sent down through the USB 3 hub on the camera to my laptop.

Wanting to tidy up cable management and this would be good if possible?

I hope it makes sense and sorry if it seems a dumb question but can't find any info.

Thanks in advance.

Looking at the image on Altair I would say the USB3 goes to laptop and the 2 x USB2 are for auxiliaries like filter wheel and maybe guider.

@markar

Thanks for your reply.

So there is no interference with downloading the image from the imaging camera and guiding at the same time? 

Does anybody use this type of configuration?

Posted by: @Astrophel

So there is no interference with downloading the image from the imaging camera and guiding at the same time? 

Feasibly no but possibly yes. I feed my guiding separately to a Pegasus box just in case. Filter wheel should be ok, not sure about focuser as that has a dedicated feed on the Pegasus.

• Like 1

BTW, I use a SX CCD Trius 694 which has 3 micro usb ports for auxiliaries, my filter wheel is in one port.

• Like 1

@markar

Thank you mate, will have a play around with it next time the clouds clear.

Just didn't want yo cause any damage ?

I don't have that camera but the ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool also has a built-in USB hub and I use it for that sort of thing.  I imagine your camera should work the same.  HTH

• Like 1

I have the 183 m tec and use the usb at the back all the time for guide cam and filter wheel or focusser. Never had any problems at all. Just make sure you select the right camera in PHd :) 

• Like 1

@3staraligned

Briilant, thank you. I was wondering if it would work with focuser and gpcam connected at same time. Will be great just having one USB cable connected to scope ??

• 1 month later...