A little bit of Soul - a bit more searching to do ;)

paul

I managed 7 hours last night but my iffy framing and clear but blustery conditions meant IC1848 has been tricky.  I need some more frames (2x) to get the noise down.

For some reason the ASIAIR pro forgot my guide camera settings and set captures to 0.5 seconds -that was a bit chuggy on the graph😀.

To mix it up a bit I used a gain of 139 with subs of 300s, 2hrs for Ha and Oiii and three hours for Sii. It has certainly reduced the integration time.

Paul

IC1838.png

Edited by paul
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, paul said:

I managed 7 hours last night but my iffy framing and clear but blustery conditions meant IC1838 has been tricky.  I need some more frames (2x) to get the noise down.

For some reason the ASIAIR pro forgot my guide camera settings and set captures to 0.5 seconds -that was a bit chuggy on the graph😀.

To mix it up a bit I used a gain of 139 with subs of 300s, 2hrs for Ha and Oiii and three hours for Sii. It has certainly reduced the integration time.

Paul

IC1838.png

Looks great, seems to be plenty of detail in the nebula, and the colour is good too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, it helped having several nights clear recently to get the basics sorted. I know where the noise and artifacts are hiding 😉.  I'm an engineer, I like processes. Making artistic choices is freeing but a bit uncomfortable!  

3 hours ago, paul said:

I managed 7 hours last night but my iffy framing and clear but blustery conditions meant IC1838 has been tricky.  I need some more frames (2x) to get the noise down.

Paul

IC1838.png

Wow!! That is so nice!! Wonderful colours! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P Holdsworth said:

Very nice Paul. Love the colour palette and the detail is excellent 👍

Thanks Paul. The forecast suggests I'll get a few hours tonight. I think I'll use the time to tweak the back focus as the corner stars still have some coma (there is some tilt too but I'll not fuss on that for the moment🙂 as I think that averages out a bit on meridian flip). I'll also check focus per filter to see if it is significantly different for the refractor - I had not worried about that until now but if it helps I'll take it 🙂.

1 minute ago, MarkAR said:

Very nice, detail is really good but not 100% sure on the colour myself. 

Thanks, its a straight 1:1 SHO with me reducing Green by eye. I haven't calibrated my monitors so its a bit arbitrary. I've been reading with interest the complex mixes others are using. As long as detail sharpening is only in LUM I will have to give them a go 🙂.