October 2021 - Anyone playing tonight?

Hi,

I got out early and then stopped and back out again.....

Anyway I am basically following in Brian's footsteps,  @AstronomyUkraineor at least image target choices - I was Wow'd by his Ghost of Cassiopia and as its getting close to Halloween I thought I would have a go at that as well, so pulling down some Ha at moment and going to switch to Oiii next and then Sii and if I am still up and clear, rinse and repeat - so plan is to build up each fliter in 1hr rotations. I am only doing this in narrowband - no RGB - so hopefully that works for this target.

Gamma Cas is BRIGHT!!! - got a big halo despite using 3nm Antlia filter and micro lensing effect due to ASI1600 -but did I say its bright !!

image.thumb.png.196c328c21c513e73a46cb636eecd9af.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astrobdlbug said:

Hi,

Anyway I am basically following in Brian's footsteps,  @AstronomyUkraineor at least image target choices - I was Wow'd by his Ghost of Cassiopia and as its getting close to Halloween I thought I would have a go at that as well, so pulling down some Ha at moment and going to switch to Oiii next and then Sii and if I am still up and clear, rinse and repeat - so plan is to build up each fliter in 1hr rotations. I am only doing this in narrowband - no RGB - so hopefully that works for this target.

Gamma Cas is BRIGHT!!! - got a big halo despite using 3nm Antlia filter and micro lensing effect due to ASI1600 -but did I say its bright !!

image.thumb.png.196c328c21c513e73a46cb636eecd9af.png

wow I can’t wait to see the final image 😀

Well, my plan to have both the DSLR and ASI1600 imaging in one night went a bit wonky. Somehow dithering was switched-off the DSLR setup so I have some awful walking noise over 5hrs of M33 data. S/N was bad too - so there must have been a lot of high cloud or mist after I went to bed.  The ASI1600 session was on the Cocoon, hopefully something usable - processing now.🤞

• Like 1

I'm done - very very damp and misty now - I changed to image with ASI2600MC OSC as I noted the Ghost is not really a narrowband target unless you want to spend decades capturing Oiii....

Not really got much RGB - 30mins and about 90mins Ha

Might process it all and see what a 2hr image looks like

Bryan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astrobdlbug said:

I didn't even bother with OIII and SII Bryan. Most of the images I saw on google were HaRGB, even the the RGB signal is very weak and needs many hours of data.

The 1600 is a good camera, but that micro lensing is annoying around bright stars. I cut Gamma Cas out of the equation altogether, as I know I would have had a horrible halo from the OIII filter.

• Like 1

Tonight (Friday 15/10/2021) looks good in some parts of the UK as there is a weather front which is bringing down clear skies from the north. Apparently it is only for Friday day/night and then clouds are coming in from the west in the early hours of Saturday morning so I'll try to get some S2 on California.

• Like 2

According to the forecast the best I can hope for is a fine afternoon to tweak my balance and maybe some time between the clouds tonight to check out my RGB filters. The last couple of sessions I've had smeared stars for RGB but apparently OK NB - in the same session - it doesn't look like a guiding issue more of a tilted reflection. It looks like I may at some time reversed the filter wheel in the last 6 months. My last good RGB images were in May, I only tried RGB again last week. Even with the FAQ from ZWO it is really difficult to know if I have them in the right way around🤔.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, paul said:

According to the forecast the best I can hope for is a fine afternoon to tweak my balance and maybe some time between the clouds tonight to check out my RGB filters. The last couple of sessions I've had smeared stars for RGB but apparently OK NB - in the same session - it doesn't look like a guiding issue more of a tilted reflection. It looks like I may at some time reversed the filter wheel in the last 6 months. My last good RGB images were in May, I only tried RGB again last week. Even with the FAQ from ZWO it is really difficult to know if I have them in the right way around🤔.

Do you have the ZWO EFW? I did the same thing when I bought mine, had it install backwards for 3 months. 😂

This is how is should look.

post-241090-0-53388300-1495797969.jpg

• Haha 1

Well I finally have the electricity working again, and when for a trip to Kelling Heath Star Party.  Managed an image there which is posted up in the Deep Sky forum LBN782.  I did try for another image on the couple of other half clear nights I had but missed the target.

Apophis astros (Roger) tried to get me up and running in APT platsolving before I went.  I have tried a couple of years ago but could not get it to work.  He couldn't get it to work either and everything was installed the same as on his laptop.  It would take an image, say it was platesolving, but then never went to the chosen target. 

Anyone used APT platesolving?  though having said that any replies are bound to be far too technical for me to understand, but Roger might.  I have been in touch with the author of APT and he has made some suggestions including sending him the log file, but not had a chance to get outside again since Kelling as the clearing up after the electricians invoked a big re-sort and clear out which can;t be a bad thing.

Carole 

56 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Anyone used APT platesolving?  though having said that any replies are bound to be far too technical for me to understand, but Roger might.  I have been in touch with the author of APT and he has made some suggestions including sending him the log file, but not had a chance to get outside again since Kelling as the clearing up after the electricians invoked a big re-sort and clear out which can;t be a bad thing.

I used to use APT and never had much trouble with platesolving. Which platesolve programme are you using? I used platesolve2, but since then APT can platesolve with ASTAP, which is superior in my opinion.

ASTAP Installation:
Edited by AstronomyUkraine

I am using Pinpoint Brian in APT (or trying to).  

Roger checked that I have 3 catalogue programmes installed including Astap, All Sky Plate Solver and Platesolve 2.  The camera is selected and the focal length of the scope, the filterwheel and mount are also connected.  Tracking is selected and when i did it with Roger the EQMOD window came up.

It took an image and that's all it did it didn't end up platesolving or centring the desire Alignment star.  

Carole  

3 hours ago, Carastro said:

Screen shot of settings without anything attached to the laptop.

I notice you have no default filter for GoTo++. I would set that to lum, APT will use whichever filter you last used otherwise. Looking at the APT user guide, it doesn't seem that it supports Pinpoint, maybe that is the problem.

Also, according to APT you are still using PHD1, and not PHD2.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine