Untidy cables

Carastro

Just now, Carastro said:

I have some of those, and use them to initially tie back the cables, but then they all hang after that.  

Carole 

I think the trick is to make all your cables longer than you need then they always have something to do 😄

And pro-tip; always hook side in so my jumper doesn't drag the the scope off beam!

• Haha 1

This is what I use to tidy up my cables, I find it far better than zip ties. It is a 10m roll of velcro 15mm wide. I just cut off the length I need, and is easy to remove if needed. This roll cost the equivalent of £6, and should be readily available in the UK.

Velcro.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

This is what I use to tidy up my cables, I find it far better than zip ties. It is a 10m roll of velcro 15mm wide. I just cut off the length I need, and is easy to remove if needed. This roll cost the equivalent of £6, and should be readily available in the UK.

Velcro.jpg

So is it hooks one side and loops on the other?  

Never seen anything like that for sale here, but sounds a good idea.

Carole 

39 minutes ago, Carastro said:

Exactly as you say. It's so simple, and no bits hanging down to snag cables etc. They sell similar on Ebay in the UK. Different colours and widths too. Just search for double sided velcro.

Brian

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carastro said:

Carole 

Here you go Carole, I have used this many times, but now use cable ties to keep things tidy with the occasional use of webbing: - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VELCRO-Brand-Hook-and-loop-ONE-WRAP-Double-Sided-Cable-Tidy-Strap-Tape-Reuse/203024808080?hash=item2f4538b890:g:K6oAAOSwUg5e605a

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, paul said:

It's an old thread but I cant believe how satisfying these have been:

image.png.84653a3740f95b86fa61890a21cd6bdf.png

Cheap thrills at 100 for £8 😁

Paul, where did you get these from, have you got a link ta.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, Jkulin said:

Paul, where did you get these from, have you got a link ta.

John I bought a couple of hundred of these from Amazon. I can’t seem to get the actual link out but here is a screenshot of the details.

7B69CDB5-92EF-4F85-B81E-253791D77CD3.thumb.png.3b699eae9cb84e5b44619641f1e64054.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

John I bought a couple of hundred of these from Amazon. I can’t seem to get the actual link out but here is a screenshot of the details.

7B69CDB5-92EF-4F85-B81E-253791D77CD3.thumb.png.3b699eae9cb84e5b44619641f1e64054.png

Thanks Terry, just ordered some as they may be perfect when travelling.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, woodblock said:

I worry that if I over-tidy the cables they might get snagged while tracking or slewing. That's my excuse anyway.

That's why I don't do it, tried it once and the cable got completely strangulated. 

Carole 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of rolls of Velcro, I use it to tie my cables when I roll them up. I set up my scopes every time I us them and I believe that I have never run my cables the same way twice. I liked Caroles' method and have let them hang. It's been less trouble.

• Like 2

Yup I just tie my cables back immediately after the point where they are plugged in so they will not pull on the socket and don't hang out too far and can get caught as I move around the scope.

Carole

• 1 month later...

I've been getting setup for guiding and had a trial run last night. It was working fine until I knocked the cable for the guide scope which was hanging down from the scope next to where I was working. It was just a light brush and normally I wouldn't have though anything of it. However it did make a significant disturbance on the PHD2 graph. In fact I'd done what Carole does and I'd fixed the cables to my main camera and guide camera close to the device. 

PHD2 soon brought it back under control but I may have to think about a better setup.

Steve

• Sad 1

It's been my experience that trying to tidy the cables up has caused me more problems than if I leave them pretty much hanging, I tie them back initially and then they hang closer in to the rig.  I am always careful of not knocking anything and once I am up and running I access my rig remotely anyway. 

Carole