Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

The Big Boy!!

Vicki

So, in July, I took responsibility of the Altair 8" F5 newtonian. What a beautiful piece if ever there is one. Very different from my little frac though, but the views are insane!! Optics are so crisp. Andromeda looks awesome as does The Dumbbell Nebula. Ok ,so the moon nearly blinds me after first quarter, but I can live with that having these views. The planets with a x3 barlow blow my mind. Comes with a beautifully smooth dual focuser and cooling fan on the back of the primary mirror. Will be eager to try this on dso also. I've had to rotate the tube so I don't have to stand on a ladder to view. Legs are fully retracted too. Yes, I am really that short!!  For imaging, I use an Altair GPCAM2 290c cmos. Again, another great piece of kit in the arsenal and gets used more than anything else.

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-lightwave-3x-flat-field-tele-extender-barlow-2430-p.asp

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-gpcam2-290c-colour-guide--imaging--eaa-camera-35-p.asp

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-8-f5-newtonian-telescope-10215-p.asp

249280840_946291462908267_3750849796677918562_n.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vicki said:

I've had to rotate the tube so I don't have to stand on a ladder to view. Legs are fully retracted too. Yes, I am really that short!! 

Reminds me of when I used to use my 12" Newt for visual astronomy. If the target was up near the zenith, I had to stand on a milk crate to see through the focuser, and I'm 5'9". 😀

IMG_4969.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Reminds me of when I used to use my 12" Newt for visual astronomy. If the target was up near the zenith, I had to stand on a milk crate to see through the focuser, and I'm 5'9". 😀

IMG_4969.jpg

Haha thats brilliant. I'm afraid, being only  petite and 5ft I'd need a crane for that 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vicki said:

Haha thats brilliant. I'm afraid, being only  petite and 5ft I'd need a crane for that 🤣

Not sure Orion Optics have a crane option. 🤣

• Haha 1

Great scope. How is the balance on the HEQ5 Vicki? My 8” Skywatcher newt is ok ish until it is windy and then it wobbles a bit. OK for visual but rubbish for camera apart from videoing the moon. Also couldn’t get used to rotating the scope in its rings to get the eyepiece in a comfortable place.

Thats why I now just do refractors and put the newt back onto its Dob base.

• Like 1

The 8" Newt on an EQ mount is the universal telescope. You can do almost everything with that combination. Great choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Great scope. How is the balance on the HEQ5 Vicki? My 8” Skywatcher newt is ok ish until it is windy and then it wobbles a bit. OK for visual but rubbish for camera apart from videoing the moon. Also couldn’t get used to rotating the scope in its rings to get the eyepiece in a comfortable place.

Thats why I now just do refractors and put the newt back onto its Dob base.

Thanks Terry, I love it. Balance seems ok so far. Not had it out with any wind thankfully. Even if it's a little breezy, I tend not to put it out because I'm paranoid it'll topple over!. Even when it's slewing, I'm holding onto the tripod, just incase 😂 I'm also on grass, so that's another factor in my paranoia. I'm sure it would be absolute fine though. It does just feel so big compared to my 130 and my 72. Lunar and planetary imaging is amazing through it. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rwillits said:

The 8" Newt on an EQ mount is the universal telescope. You can do almost everything with that combination. Great choice.

Thank you. I certainly am enjoying it.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:13 PM, Vicki said:

Even if it's a little breezy, I tend not to put it out because I'm paranoid it'll topple over!. Even when it's slewing, I'm holding onto the tripod, just incase 😂 I'm also on grass, so that's another factor in my paranoia. 

You could always hang some sand bags under the tripod for extra stability. Peace of mind is priceless 😉 

We use Morrisons fabric bottle carriers with sand/pebbles. Might still be available.