PixInsight Thread

TerryMcK

I’ve installed the latest PI and updated it. The WBPP script at 2.3.1 no longer exhibits the bug that was reported in the PI forums so is now assumed to be fixed.

It seems to work fine for me. Now off to investigate all the other new features….

Warning! If you manually calibrate your images in Pixinsight, make sure to check or uncheck the noise evalution check box. Uncheck for CFA frames, check for non CFA frames. With the new update the default is unchecked. If you try to use the sub frame selector or Image integration and don't have the check box correct, you'll get an error message about noise evaluation. I found out after calibrating 96 frames. 😂

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2d4b4f9dd90e3c8ea0582af293c89304.jpg

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

I can't see anything in the WBPP specifically about Noise Evaluation, However this is in there and has been for a while from memory:

image.thumb.png.13a363ffb6402721c2a57629e9255646.png

As far as I know if you increase it from disabled 0 to 1, 2 or more it then applies a Gaussian filter where the number is the radius in pixels which is then used for the calculation of star positions. It is used on very low signal to noise ratio images. I've never really used it though.

As Noise Evaluation is an on or off binary function within the Image Calibration process then the WBPP Noise Reduction might not be the same thing.

So much under the hood within PixInsight 🙂

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

As Noise Evaluation is an on or off binary function within the Image Calibration process then the WBPP Noise Reduction might not be the same thing.

It seems that signal and noise evaluation are taken care of in the debayer process for CFA frames, when manually calibrated. Maybe it's an auto setting in WBPP when calibrating CFA frames?

• TerryMcK changed the title to PixInsight Thread
  • TerryMcK pinned this topic
1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Thanks for the info Terry. I'm happy they finally made it easier to install a new version on Windows. The installer will remove a previous version automatically, so there is no need to uninstall it.

I've just been trying out the EZ Live Stack in PixInsight which is part of the EZ Processing Suite from https://darkarchon.internet-box.ch:8443/ 

It is really easy to use and similar to the DeepSkyStacker Live application but a whole lot quicker (not that it matters when you are taking 6 minute subs). When I used DSS Live a while back I could never get it to autostretch either but maybe somebody else knows how to do that.

However you can incorporate darks, flats and bias masters to the process too. I tested it out by creating a folder and placed a light sub into it. Then selected a dark master and a flat master. Then set it to monitor the original folder and simply dragged individual lights into the folder to simulate what would happen when capturing. It autostretches too so you see the image unlike DSS Live.

There are a few more options and it isn't intended to produce images of fantastic quality but mainly to show you what you are pointing at. 

The image was ok with one frame of course as Ha on the heart is very strong but it gradually built up with more an more data arriving. Might be a useful option for you to see live stacking as the subs come in. Not sure about the banding on this forum image as it wasn't apparent on the PI screen.

image.thumb.png.ca5f5e643093d64844f88b8704829849.png

3 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I've just been trying out the EZ Live Stack in PixInsight which is part of the EZ Processing Suite from https://darkarchon.internet-box.ch:8443/ 

It is really easy to use and similar to the DeepSkyStacker Live application but a whole lot quicker (not that it matters when you are taking 6 minute subs). When I used DSS Live a while back I could never get it to autostretch either but maybe somebody else knows how to do that.

However you can incorporate darks, flats and bias masters to the process too. I tested it out by creating a folder and placed a light sub into it. Then selected a dark master and a flat master. Then set it to monitor the original folder and simply dragged individual lights into the folder to simulate what would happen when capturing. It autostretches too so you see the image unlike DSS Live.

There are a few more options and it isn't intended to produce images of fantastic quality but mainly to show you what you are pointing at. 

The image was ok with one frame of course as Ha on the heart is very strong but it gradually built up with more an more data arriving. Might be a useful option for you to see live stacking as the subs come in. Not sure about the banding on this forum image as it wasn't apparent on the PI screen.

image.thumb.png.ca5f5e643093d64844f88b8704829849.png

I do a similar process, but I calibrate my sub frames directly from my remote computer. It saves a lot of time. I just save the calibrated images, then do a quick alignment to make sure everything is OK. Once I have enough data, all the files have been  calibrated on the fly, so to speak, then it's on to Blink and CosmeticCorrection.

Noticed a small bug in SubFrameSelector. Once your images have been measured, SubFrameSelector wipes out any expressions you were using, meaning they have to be re-inserted again to output the subframes. Not a huge deal, just a little annoying. This has only happened since the last update.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1