Astro imaging setup progression

After being out of the hobby for over eight years, and now having returned, albeit on a much smaller scale than before, that is to say no observatory, I started off with the  HEQ5 Pro on a tripod in the garden. But setting it up each time I wanted to use it, that idea lasted all of 5 minutes (lol).

The next step was to install a permanent pier in the garden, followed by using the summer house as warmroom. However, this meant running out cables (dc power and usb etc) each time, and then putting them away at the end of the session.

I have now acquired an i7 based mini PC, which will be mounted on the scope, with just short power feeds, and usb cables to the equipment. 

I have today buried a flexible conduit from the summer house out to the pier, and run just two cables in it, 12V DC, and 19V DC (mini PC). These terminate in a openable weatherproof enclosure attached to  the pier.

Now all I will have to do when I want an imaging session is to attach the scope to the mount, the mount stays on the pier, connect a single 12V supply, and a 19V one for the mini PC, from the the 'box' on the pier, to a small distribution box on the scope.

Not the luxury of everything permanently setup in a purpose built observatory with an attached warrmroom, like I used to have, but its as close as I am going to get to a convenient setup this time around.

Edited by Dave_S
typo

A nice thought Carole, but not this time around.

At the old house we had quite large garden, and it was easy to lose an obsy in it, but as the years passed, looking after the garden was becoming more of an effort. 1.5 to 2 hrs just to cut the lawns.  So maybe, moving to a house with with less 'real estate, wasn't such a bad idea. The garden here is not that small, but is far more manageable. Plus the fact the garden is my wife's domain, and she loves tending it, and in the six years we have been here, she has spent a lot of time and effort getting it as she wants it. An Obsy would be a bit of '"blot on her landscape" now. 😉. Gardening is her hobby.

She has put up with all my hobbies for 57 years, and I have had a few:- Amateur Radio, Scuba Diving, Sailing, Fishing, MIcroscopy, Metal Detecting, Astro, and Photography, and probably some that I have forgotten 😅

My life long passion is photography, and still is.

So, I'm happy with a permanent pier, and a summer house which now doubles as a warmroom. 🤨

Have a look at my post in "the lounge".

Edited by Dave_S
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 12:13 AM, MarkAR said:

Sounds like a good plan, I would also add an ethernet cable to the mini computer from the main computer. Hard wired is much faster than wifi.

Ethernet would indeed be faster Mark, but having just moved away from running cables out to the Pier, apart from 12V & 19V DC supplies in a buried conduit, it would mean running a 5m + Ethernet cable. Also adding a plugin USB to Ethernet adapter to the Laptop PC, as like many Laptops, it does not have an Ethernet socket. I will see how it all works, out, and if the wireless speed is acceptable then fine, if not, an Ethernet connection would be the 'fall back' option.

Edited by Dave_S
typo