Hi! from East Sussex

Smiffy

Complete newbie here. Always had a fascination with the night sky and have just "inherited" a telescope from my Son, who no longer uses it.

It's a Skywatcher Explorer 130 EQ2 which seems to get good reviews as an ideal beginners 'scope. I'm just looking around at the moment for some spectacle friendly eyepieces and I'm not as young as I once was sadly.

Been watching quite a few YouTube videos and have suggested a couple of books as Christmas presents (nothing too technical, I don't want to try running before I can walk!).

Looking forward to picking up a few tips and tricks along the way, and getting out in the garden.

I am an early riser, (very early!), so I'm hoping to put that to good use.

Thanks for listening.

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to the yard. 

It sounds like you are just where I was about a year ago. Since starting in Astronomy I have found this forum extremely useful and the folk on here will always try to answer whatever question you come up with.

It can be frustrating at first, trying to find your way around the sky and getting the most out of your scope, but stick with it.

There is a very popular book called ‘Turn Left at Orion’. It is aimed at people starting out and helps you to learn what is where and what you can expect to see.

8 minutes ago, Marmot said:

Hi Rob and welcome to the yard. 

It sounds like you are just where I was about a year ago. Since starting in Astronomy I have found this forum extremely useful and the folk on here will always try to answer whatever question you come up with.

It can be frustrating at first, trying to find your way around the sky and getting the most out of your scope, but stick with it.

There is a very popular book called ‘Turn Left at Orion’. It is aimed at people starting out and helps you to learn what is where and what you can expect to see.

Thanks for the welcome!

Had heard of "Turn left at Orion" and have literally just ordered a copy off the 'bay. Second hand, but in good condition.

Thanks for the heads up too.

Rob