BBC News has astrophotography article

TerryMcK

39 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes it did look like a C8 on a NEQ6. I also think he was using APT 25 seconds in. I suspect as the TV cameras were there he hadn't setup fully, was probably demonstrating for show, so may not have put any guiding on at all.

I noticed APT and Cartes du Ciel, and you're probably correct about the setup, because no way he could take 5 min exposures set up like that.

I hope he makes a success of it in selling his images, with it being on the BBC he'll get plenty of exposure, and hopefully get others interested in our hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

When I get that unexpected gap in the clouds and I've just thrown all the gear out on the dark, tripping over the bin that was blown over in last night's storm. And Phd 2 decides that tonight is the night to forget it is already calibrated. And the ASI camera starts with its "can't download image" nonsense. And when an hour later I realise I didn't  switch on the dewheater. And when, after the third image is saved I start to see the clouds rolling in. I have to admit that "grounded and relaxed" are not the words springing to my mind.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dmack1 said:

When I get that unexpected gap in the clouds and I've just thrown all the gear out on the dark, tripping over the bin that was blown over in last night's storm. And Phd 2 decides that tonight is the night to forget it is already calibrated. And the ASI camera starts with its "can't download image" nonsense. And when an hour later I realise I didn't  switch on the dewheater. And when, after the third image is saved I start to see the clouds rolling in. I have to admit that "grounded and relaxed" are not the words springing to my mind.

🤣🤣🤣

Better having all your disasters on one night, than having little disasters everytime you go out imaging. 😂

3 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Better having all your disasters on one night, than having little disasters everytime you go out imaging. 😂

This is indeed true!

But then again, there is that immutable and universal law of AP that states that if things start going wrong at set up  you may as well throw a cover over the scope and go to bed because its not going to get better that night!! 😁

Edited by Dmack1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I started out in this game I couldn't believe how stressful it was. I thought you just pointed the scope skyward and then chilled out with a beer.

Getting a little more 'grounded and relaxed' these days, but you still need to keep a good stock of expletives to hand.

• Haha 2