Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Just Purchased Celestron Explorer 102AZ

Sgt Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Defo seen Callisto right on the rim top left.🙂

With better transparency and a better scope I might have seen the transit shadow. I've seen them with my 60 EDF. It's got good glass lol.

• Like 1

Does transparency  literally  mean clearer sky and with the scope I have would I have seen more details on Jupiter or do I need a more powerful eyepiece. I tried 2xBarlow on my 10mm but as you can guess it was just to much for this scope and was a fuzzy mess.

53 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Does transparency  literally  mean clearer sky and with the scope I have would I have seen more details on Jupiter or do I need a more powerful eyepiece. I tried 2xBarlow on my 10mm but as you can guess it was just to much for this scope and was a fuzzy mess.

Transparency and seeing  are the main factors to successful observing, or not. I think the seeing was bad as well as the transparency for me. Bad transparency is like looking through tissue paper and usually caused by humidity. 

TBH you'd probably see more at lower magnifications with poor seeing or transparency. I had difficulty seeing Mercury's phase at 125x. It was easier at 89x and 62.5x.

• Like 1