Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New WO Redcat 71 now on sale!

AstronomyUkraine

A few outlets have started to advertise the new WO Redcat 71 for sale in the UK and Europe. The price in the UK is £1599 and 1799 euro in Europe. In Europe it will be ready for shipping in 3 to 5 weeks, Looking at UK websites, they give no information about shipping or availability.

William-Optics-Apochromatic-refractor-AP-71-350-RedCat-71-OTA.thumb.jpg.61d1980acf9e517393e8feba85af11a0.jpg

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

I’m not tempted. Honest……

😉

How much cloud do you want in Manchester, Terry? 🤣

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Haha 1

It’s a lot of money for what is on offer. I’m really not sold either on the limitations of the all in one design. For similar or less money you can get a high quality 80mm triplet with both a pure flattener and reducer and have the flexibility of two focal lengths and more aperture. I similarly found the 51 a weak option compared to the 61EDPHII which I run at 335 and 265mm now. The 51 at least had the merit of sitting well on star trackers. I’m sure the 71 will find a market though. People often don’t like fiddling with spacing to get Backfocus exactly right. And it’s pretty. I won’t be buying though. The offerings from Altair or maybe the FPL 55 triplets from TS look like way better options to me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, William Shaw said:

It’s a lot of money for what is on offer. 

+1. But I guess it's not a bad price for a full frame scope if you're planning for that. Its no lighter than other 70mm solutions. In contrast the 51 is ultra compact and portable very wide-field and occupied a aperture slot not often sold.

For either adding autofocus is comparatively expensive.

Edited by paul