All set to go

Dave_S

Its been a lengthy and time consuming, not to mention expensive process, getting all the gear together, and "talking" to each other, but I am now about ready to return to astro imaging, after an eight year hiatus.
I started out with the telescope, and an HEQ5 Pro on its tripod. However, after previously having a fully equipped observatory, the tripod idea lasted all of 5 minutes ๐Ÿ˜….
The next stage was to install a permanent pier, on a concrete base in garden, and control everything via multiple cables (power and usb) from the shed, which would become my control/warmroom.
However, again having been spoilt by having had a proper observatory, running cables out every time I wanted to use the gear, and then putting them away after, was not really what I wanted to be doing.
So, the next move was to install a Mini PC on the telescope, and control everything wirelessly via my home network, and Windows Remote Desktop application.
I ran the power cables (12V and 19V for the mini pc) in buried conduit.
Today, I got everything working, now just need the Moon out of the way , and some decent clear nights, and we are good to go.๐Ÿ™‚
Starwave 115 Apo, 60mm guide scope, Hypercam 294c Pro Tec, GPCAM 130, Skywatcher DC Focus motor + Hitech USB controller, Dew Heaters with Hitech controller, and a Gigabyte i7 based Mini PC. All mounted on the scope
Hopefully some 'deep sky' images to follow soon

setup 1.jpg

setup 2.jpg

48 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

A great setup you have Dave. That moon, or blobby as we call it, is an ever present issue. Of course what is worse is the ever present UK cloud which is a feature we have to work around.

Thanks Terry. Prior to 2014 whenย I left the hobby, Iย was astro imaging for some 12 years, so I am sadly well aware the issues we face in the UK. Its just something we have to live with. Fortunately, I have my primary hobby of photography, that I can pursue in daylight, and not have to worry about cloud.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 9:01 PM, Dave_S said:
Its been a lengthy and time consuming, not to mention expensive process, getting all the gear together, and "talking" to each other, but I am now about ready to return to astro imaging, after an eight year hiatus.
I started out with the telescope, and an HEQ5 Pro on its tripod. However, after previously having a fully equipped observatory, the tripod idea lasted all of 5 minutes ๐Ÿ˜….
The next stage was to install a permanent pier, on a concrete base in garden, and control everything via multiple cables (power and usb) from the shed, which would become my control/warmroom.
However, again having been spoilt by having had a proper observatory, running cables out every time I wanted to use the gear, and then putting them away after, was not really what I wanted to be doing.
So, the next move was to install a Mini PC on the telescope, and control everything wirelessly via my home network, and Windows Remote Desktop application.
I ran the power cables (12V and 19V for the mini pc) in buried conduit.
Today, I got everything working, now just need the Moon out of the way , and some decent clear nights, and we are good to go.๐Ÿ™‚
Starwave 115 Apo, 60mm guide scope, Hypercam 294c Pro Tec, GPCAM 130, Skywatcher DC Focus motor + Hitech USB controller, Dew Heaters with Hitech controller, and a Gigabyte i7 based Mini PC. All mounted on the scope
Hopefully some 'deep sky' images to follow soon

setup 1.jpg

setup 2.jpg

Nice setup Dave! Is that a future "sliding roof" I see in the background? ๐Ÿ™‚

1 hour ago, mightymonoped said:

Nice setup Dave! Is that a future "sliding roof" I see in the background? ๐Ÿ™‚

A nice thought Tony, but its not going to happen. My wife treated me to the new shed when we moved here six years ago, after I knocked down the old rotten one that was here. I'm not sure hat she would take kindly to me turning it into a roll-off roof.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰. I have now dispensed with the wireless control, as it involved two intermediate wi-fi repeaters in the link from the router at the front of he house, to the shed at the bottom of the rear garden. It worked ok, but the 'lag' was not acceptable, especially when using the motor focuser.ย  I have now run a Gigabit Ethernet cable from the shed, via the buried conduit, out to the pier. Now its plenty quick enough.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Dave_S
typo