Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

Celestron Star Sense Explorer 102DX

Sgt Pepper

Looks good. Eventually you might want to get a better reflex sight. The plastic ones do the job but can get unreliable over time.

wFK9xSR.jpg

The 'Aomekie' on the left is basically identical to the TS Optics on the right and cost less than half the price. They probably came out of the same factory. 

• Like 1

Hi Barry

i have been eagerly awaiting a pic of your new scope and it looks great.🙂

Your Red Dot Finder (RDF) looks identical to the one supplied with and still on my scope. It does the job, but I find that I often have to re jig the alignment with my scope. It gets me in the right area, but I can’t seem to get it spot on. However, If you use a long focal length EP (32mm approx) as a finder piece, you can usually get your target in the field of view, (or if not very close to it) and then you can centre it in your view before selecting an EP of a higher magnification. 

I am still trying to decide what to replace my RDF with, but as yet I am undecided.

Clouds are preventing observing for me at the moment and probably are for you, but I am spending a bit of time researching what targets I want to have a go at and where they are in the sky.

1 hour ago, Sgt Pepper said:

It seem the one on your link has a different mount to the one you pictured (which is the mount I would need)? 🙂

NphnSjn.jpg

I think they all come like this. I have an 'Astromania' still in the box identical to the TS in the picture above. They all have Weaver (NATO) mounts anyway. The stands may differ, but as far as I can recall the stand is included.

• Like 1

OK, I've been checking Amazon and some may not have a stand. There's always the Altair RDF. Or you can buy the stands separately from TS Optics.

It would still be cheaper to buy the reflex sight from Amazon and the stand from TS than everything from TS. The stands have Synta compatible feet and will fit any Weaver mount.

• Like 1