Cleaned up Horsey

mightymonoped

Looks good Tony. The 80mm might enble you to capture some more of the outer ionised gas  (red areas), as it extends quite a way out.

It will be interesting to compare my 294c with the SXVR H16, that I used on this subject when I last imaged it back pre 2014.

Noise wise, I use Neat Image, and have been using it for my photography, since being introduced to it by Dennis, back in the PAIG days.

Edited by Dave_S
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!

Dave, I still use Neat Image now and again but tended to use Noel's actions more recently. However, I finally succumbed to Topaz de-noise after trying it for a while. It doesn't always do the job, but when it does, it does it immaculately. Currently going through the usual circus of errors getting the 80ED balanced on the EQ6-R. Having finally got a finder-scope mounted on it (the old Baader Steeltrack doesn't have anywhere to fit a finder-shoe), I've now found that the Skywatcher dovetail bar fouls the dovetail mount. Rather than fork out £174 for a pair of 100mm scope rings than fit the 80ED, I've managed to find a dovetail bar that will do the job hopefully. The expense never ends! 😤😂

£174 for a set of scope rings 🙄, that is ridiculous. Skywatcher do pairs of scope rings starting at £26, and are perfectly  adequate.

Here's a picture of my setup back in 2007, and there is a pair a Skywatcher scope rings with an ED80 in them. I did modify them, in that I removed the original adjuster screws, and replaced them with some M6 s/s studding, and screwed some plastic knobs on the end. I put soft plastic caps on the other end, so as not to damage the OTA.

I would think that 14 years on they will be of an improved design, and at £26, relatively cheaper than they were back then.

Expense wise, I started buying gear at the end September, and am only just about done. I had forgotten just how much gear I used to have, and had I realised how much I would need spend on returning to the hobby, and starting from 'scratch" again, I might have thought twice about it.  Especially as astro is a secondary interest now, to my photography.

B0004635.jpg

Edited by Dave_S
added image
  • Like 1

I’ve got plenty of Skywatcher rings, it’s the ridiculous situation of the Whitworth fitting and the lack of clearance on the dovetail bottom that means you can’t fix the rings without the bolts being proud on the bottom and not allowing a full range of movement to allow balancing. A new dovetail will allow fitting the Skywatcher rings but with clearance to slide the dovetail.