December 2021 - Anyone Playing Tonight

Jkulin

Wow is it December already? I'm going out to test the new bearings in my HEQ5Pro mount tonight. Looking for good RMS on both axis. The small rig is also out and going for a totally different target, yet to be decided, so going for double bubble tonight.

23 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Wow is it December already? I'm going out to test the new bearings in my HEQ5Pro mount tonight. Looking for good RMS on both axis. The small rig is also out and going for a totally different target, yet to be decided, so going for double bubble tonight.

Need to do the same with my rig, but no promise of clear skies until Saturday at the earliest.

Well, for once the various  weather apps have got it correct, after a day of rain bands, the sky cleared by 8pm and I got set up and back on the horse , I should be on Oiii, but the school to my east has sports field floodlights and they put a big bubble of light polution up and it does affect Oiii, so will wait unit 10:30pm when they all go home to switch over to Oiii, so I am pulling down Ha - such better contrast when there is no moon

Bryan

I tend to do O3 and S2 to coincide with the moon either being absent or a crescent. Not good that you have a floodlit sports field near to you though Bryan. We have a cricket club at the back of us but thankfully they don’t (yet) have floodlights but I wouldn’t rule that out.

Doing some testing on the HEQ5Pro tonight with its newly replaced bearings. Guiding is looking very good considering some high cloud that is about. Just pointed the scope at the Pac-man as a useful target using the OSC camera tonight. First aim the scope meridian flipped just after it plate solved which was great as it just reset itself and carried on when on the other side of the pier.

Cloud forecast at around midnight but I’ll have got around 4 hours in by then.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I hope it goes ok for you Brian. Nothing doing here tonight but spent this afternoon finalising the cable management on the HEQ5Pro. Going to do the wiring loom on the EQM35 Pro tomorrow 

Thanks Terry. Looks like you had a result on your tune up. 40% guiding improvement is excellent.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

Very clear skies here (B2) at the moment. Can make out M36 37 and 38 naked eye and very nice in binoculars. Perseus double cluster nicely visible.  However,  very blustery and there have been heavy sleet showers all day so I don't think I'll risk taking the scope out. I may regret this later!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been posting much of late - for 2 reasons:

a) My son has moved back home - hopefully temporarily (long story), and is sleeping in my office and getting access to my main desktop is not always easy and this also hampers my ability to watch my imaging rig remotely when I am actually imaging, so commenting whilst imaging is not easy.

B)  I haven't done any imaging in any case for a couple of months until a few nights ago as quite frankly I have pretty much run out of suitable targets I can do from my home Bortle 8 location and all the targets I still want to do are broadband and these need a dark sky.

Since I am back to using my dual rig and my laptop/software won't download 2 cameras to the same laptop (it freezes) I am forced to use both my laptops for imaging, and therefore I have no spares left for remote access. 

Carole  

It's been a while since I had a decent night imaging, what with experimenting pretty unsuccessfully with the C8, horrible weather, and a busy work period. 

Last night and tonight have been surprisingly clear in the city, and I've set up with my new NEQ6 (recently acquired from Paul McC in the forums) with the Esprit 80 and ASI1600MM. Everything is working flawlessly; I'm guiding consistently at 0.6-0.7", star HFR is 2.4-2.7 and have just finished an unattended meridian flip.

GIven my Bortle 8 location, I'm doing 60s RGB subs on C14 the Double Cluster in Perseus. Here's a quick stack in APP of 5x60s each of RGB, with darks but no flats. I'm currently doing a run of an additional 40x60s each channel, and will shoot flats tomorrow if I get a chance. It's good to be back!

688497676_C14DoubleCluster_sml.thumb.jpg.d5a44add1d05f6fe81db7e792a613637.jpg

• Like 1

I was so looking forward to tonight as I thought we may have some brief clear skies so that I could try to image the moon as my first time integrating all the kit I have together with PHD2, N.I.N.A and various bits of software. Prior to attempting any imaging was with a film camera then with an intervalometer and DSLR, I have now reached out to software and a laptop to help me.

1st light on the new ZWO ASI294MM

Guiding at 0.6 RMS in Bortle 7/8 with a bit of very high cloud and a big white globe hanging nearby

6 mins of Ha on Pacman to try the camera out BIN2x2

image.thumb.png.2248aaa81e7ed147ce7174c8c9611fbc.png

Slight vignetting but nothing that flats can't cure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

1st light on the new ZWO ASI294MM

Guiding at 0.6 RMS in Bortle 7/8 with a bit of very high cloud and a big white globe hanging nearby

6 mins of Ha on Pacman to try the camera out BIN2x2

image.thumb.png.2248aaa81e7ed147ce7174c8c9611fbc.png

Slight vignetting but nothing that flats can't cure.

Very well done, the humidity here was 98%+ and everything was against me as in nothing wanted to work together, but it was all part and parcel of the learning curve and this astrophotography with laptops and software is a big learning curve. “When the night has come and the land is dark, and the moon is the only light we will see” comes to mind. 😉

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like 2