December 2021 - Anyone Playing Tonight

Jkulin

21 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

25 subs now. The cloud disappeared after sub 17 - clear again now.

Glad you kept going, I am for one waiting on more extended cables as I realised the limitations on such issues. Bought USB hub to aid such an issue.

Edited by Cumbrianwolf

13 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

1st light on the new ZWO ASI294MM

Guiding at 0.6 RMS in Bortle 7/8 with a bit of very high cloud and a big white globe hanging nearby

6 mins of Ha on Pacman to try the camera out BIN2x2

image.thumb.png.2248aaa81e7ed147ce7174c8c9611fbc.png

Slight vignetting but nothing that flats can't cure.

Slight star trailing as well mate,

Roger

No luck here in South Wales, it now looks like it is clouded out till next year. This is my 3rd year in a row where Oct thro Dec are a washout, and where small windows do open the seeing is generally poor. Here’s hoping January will deliver better skies and seeing for us all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes we just get the underside of white clouds. How do you go on maintaining the temperature of cooled cameras at -15C. Do you go to -25 or -30C?

My temeperature is set at -15 already, so I just leave it at that. The biggest problem at that temp is the cables go very stiff, and lose a lot of their flexibility. I've searched around for cold resistant USB cables without much luck. There are plenty of weather resistant cables available, but they only protect aginst rain.

23 minutes ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

cold resistant USB cables

No I've not found anything like silicone covered USB cables which would be great. They all tend to be nylon sheathed or some other plastic.

I see some very high end cameras are being specified with fibre optic connectors now. But the cameras themselves are very expensive however silicone power cables could be used to power them. That may be the future and do away with USB to the camera.

Currently the IOptron CEM70 (the one with iGuider) and similar has USB3 all the way up to the mount head so the relative cable movement can be minimised. I'm still attracted to that concept.

image.png.212b8c357d5dc16dfaa317c90ae58f0e.png

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

No I've not found anything like silicone covered USB cables which would be great. They all tend to be nylon sheathed or some other plastic.

I see some very high end cameras are being specified with fibre optic connectors now. But the cameras themselves are very expensive however silicone power cables could be used to power them. That may be the future and do away with USB to the camera.

Currently the IOptron CEM70 (the one with iGuider) and similar has USB3 all the way up to the mount head so the relative cable movement can be minimised. I'm still attracted to that concept.

image.png.212b8c357d5dc16dfaa317c90ae58f0e.png

The ioptron is a good mount, but I would begrudge paying 400 extra for a USB connection, and an guider I don't need. The base version only has USB 2.0 unfortunately. If it had USB 3.0 I would give it more consideration.

11 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

guider I don't need

Yes that was the one thing, as well as the increased cost, that put me off too as an iGuider is something I don’t need. IOptron would be on a winner if the base model was USB3 up to the scope clamp. I like the entire concept of having no cables trailing from the scope at all.

13 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes that was the one thing, as well as the increased cost, that put me off too as an iGuider is something I don’t need. IOptron would be on a winner if the base model was USB3 up to the scope clamp. I like the entire concept of having no cables trailing from the scope at all.

You don't really need the USB 3.0, I assume you have your camera connected to the Rpi.

2 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Yes it does. Pi positioned at the bottom of the mount, Camera at the top , USB3 cable in between. Not sure what you are saying.

It's OK, I'm confusing myself here. I was looking at the USB 3.0 connection on the Ioptron that connects to a computer. I forgot about the USB ports on the saddle. 😂

• Haha 1