Final equipment addings

Hi all,

We are by the end of this year, and i enjoyed the last years into astro regarding all issues and breaks i was going through, but i never give up and it helped me to keep going, and i am almost putting some final touches to my gear so i can be ready next years as much as i can.

A. I had issues with guiding in the past, didn't know why, but i finally figured out why, very shame that i wasted like 2 years without solving the guiding issue only just recently, so this require me a question now as long i solved the guiding issue and also asking again what is the solution if i need to.

1. What guiding scope you can recommend me to get beside the one i already have which QHY mini guide scope? I have ZWO 60 one but i don't like it at all, and the weight of ST80 for now isn't a good choice, i will have two separate dual imaging system, i might use this mini guide scope with the lightweight or with the heavy, which means i need another one, but not QHY mini guide scope again, OAG is included but i don't know if it is a good idea with small to medium scopes sizes anyway.

B. Plate Solving now became like a necessary for my imaging, sounds i am wasting some time nowadays only to do stars alignment every time before imaging, and sometimes it just take longer time than it should be, and also i fail in meridian flipping, not sure how can i do imaging smooth and good enough without solving those two.

2. What is a good plate solving software to use? I am using SGPro for now, not sure when i will move to NINA but maybe sooner than later, so i don't know if there is like a stand alone for that or use the integrated one, your advice. Also with meridian flipping, is there a better way to do it without issues like the frame is shifted or focus being lost or maybe cable disconnect for a device by accident?

C. As long i am increasing my equipment i need to make it like complete, so now i am having many different scopes i am thinking about buying many autofocuser or motors to match them, and i want to match few of them with color, i have one already, so will think about more.

3. What autofocuser rather than ZWO EAF i can buy that has either blue color or black? I have Pegasus one for my 90 triplet, i want to buy same or another one if blue for my small 60mm one that has blue touch, people don't care about it, yes, but i prefer to be in sync with colors, i have FRA400 so EAF will be the one, also the second 60mm it will be red so another EAF i will choose, i just don't want to have ALL my scopes only with EAF and only with Pegasus, refractors are almost done of choices with colors, while my Newt i don't know, one has blue and the other is just black and white, i am not in rush to buy motors all now, but i will have time to add them to my order list and buy them one by one, i might buy two EAF for two red lines scopes, the rest i can wait.

D. In future i might or might not get a full frame sensor for astro, but if that is in my mind and plan i want to know about how good to go with it if many keep saying that sometimes it is more issues than it is helpful, for example matching scopes, but i see some people buying it regardless what they are using it with or for what, so i don't want to keep myself away from this option or avoid it forever.

4. If i plan to get a full frame, should i go with mono or OSC? And if i go with mono for any reason, should i make sure that i only buy 2" size filters for my smaller sensors now so i just be ready if i upgrade? I have APS-C both mono and color, i don't know if 36mm is enough for this sensor size, i just try to add some 2" filters for it in case i go larger in sensor, and for color cameras it is easier and more affordable to have 2" than mono filters, i bought UV/IR cut at 2" for my OSC, i also bought Ha 3nm 2", now i am thinking about dual band filter and SII filter [OIII i will stay with small sensor only as i have Chroma OIII 3nm 1.25" or getting it from the dual band filter], should i get SII 3nm as 36mm or as 2"? At the end i won't use a full frame with full set all filters anyway, the full frame if OSC will be used with Lum or dual band filters only, if mono then only Ha and/or Lum for details.

For now those above are my main plan to finish this year or soon except the last point, just the SII filter i can make it soon if i know the choice, or wait to see some new items coming for filters then i can decide, i can't wait to put my gear into use as soon as possible, i used my new scope by 1st-2nd date one night for narrowbanding target, and i made sure to use all filters that night, i got data, but they are not good or not enough for 1 night, but that gave me a hope that once i add another camera to get busy with a filter then i can have enough data per night, and i can make an extra night only to finer the details more, rather than using 1 setup which it was a headache after all, i hated imaging with 1 setup no matter how good i make everything, i was lucky to get data of three NB filters, but i know it isn't good enough, and soon i will process the data and post elsewhere to see the quality of scope optic maybe, stars are bad because no dedicated flattener/reducer and no correct back focus.

Sorry for typing this, but i am really getting to finish this small setup very soon, so only left serious bigger setup in future such as a better mount and larger aperture scope for visual or even larger scope for smaller distant targets, but that is for future plan, for my current mount i can use it for small setup either dual or triple, will see how can i put it all together.

Thank you,

Tareq

Edited by TareqPhoto

1 hour ago, TareqPhoto said:

Hi all,

We are by the end of this year, and i enjoyed the last years into astro regarding all issues and breaks i was going through, but i never give up and it helped me to keep going, and i am almost putting some final touches to my gear so i can be ready next years as much as i can.

A. I had issues with guiding in the past, didn't know why, but i finally figured out why, very shame that i wasted like 2 years without solving the guiding issue only just recently, so this require me a question now as long i solved the guiding issue and also asking again what is the solution if i need to.

1. What guiding scope you can recommend me to get beside the one i already have which QHY mini guide scope? I have ZWO 60 one but i don't like it at all, and the weight of ST80 for now isn't a good choice, i will have two separate dual imaging system, i might use this mini guide scope with the lightweight or with the heavy, which means i need another one, but not QHY mini guide scope again, OAG is included but i don't know if it is a good idea with small to medium scopes sizes anyway.

B. Plate Solving now became like a necessary for my imaging, sounds i am wasting some time nowadays only to do stars alignment every time before imaging, and sometimes it just take longer time than it should be, and also i fail in meridian flipping, not sure how can i do imaging smooth and good enough without solving those two.

2. What is a good plate solving software to use? I am using SGPro for now, not sure when i will move to NINA but maybe sooner than later, so i don't know if there is like a stand alone for that or use the integrated one, your advice. Also with meridian flipping, is there a better way to do it without issues like the frame is shifted or focus being lost or maybe cable disconnect for a device by accident?

C. As long i am increasing my equipment i need to make it like complete, so now i am having many different scopes i am thinking about buying many autofocuser or motors to match them, and i want to match few of them with color, i have one already, so will think about more.

3. What autofocuser rather than ZWO EAF i can buy that has either blue color or black? I have Pegasus one for my 90 triplet, i want to buy same or another one if blue for my small 60mm one that has blue touch, people don't care about it, yes, but i prefer to be in sync with colors, i have FRA400 so EAF will be the one, also the second 60mm it will be red so another EAF i will choose, i just don't want to have ALL my scopes only with EAF and only with Pegasus, refractors are almost done of choices with colors, while my Newt i don't know, one has blue and the other is just black and white, i am not in rush to buy motors all now, but i will have time to add them to my order list and buy them one by one, i might buy two EAF for two red lines scopes, the rest i can wait.

D. In future i might or might not get a full frame sensor for astro, but if that is in my mind and plan i want to know about how good to go with it if many keep saying that sometimes it is more issues than it is helpful, for example matching scopes, but i see some people buying it regardless what they are using it with or for what, so i don't want to keep myself away from this option or avoid it forever.

4. If i plan to get a full frame, should i go with mono or OSC? And if i go with mono for any reason, should i make sure that i only buy 2" size filters for my smaller sensors now so i just be ready if i upgrade? I have APS-C both mono and color, i don't know if 36mm is enough for this sensor size, i just try to add some 2" filters for it in case i go larger in sensor, and for color cameras it is easier and more affordable to have 2" than mono filters, i bought UV/IR cut at 2" for my OSC, i also bought Ha 3nm 2", now i am thinking about dual band filter and SII filter [OIII i will stay with small sensor only as i have Chroma OIII 3nm 1.25" or getting it from the dual band filter], should i get SII 3nm as 36mm or as 2"? At the end i won't use a full frame with full set all filters anyway, the full frame if OSC will be used with Lum or dual band filters only, if mono then only Ha and/or Lum for details.

For now those above are my main plan to finish this year or soon except the last point, just the SII filter i can make it soon if i know the choice, or wait to see some new items coming for filters then i can decide, i can't wait to put my gear into use as soon as possible, i used my new scope by 1st-2nd date one night for narrowbanding target, and i made sure to use all filters that night, i got data, but they are not good or not enough for 1 night, but that gave me a hope that once i add another camera to get busy with a filter then i can have enough data per night, and i can make an extra night only to finer the details more, rather than using 1 setup which it was a headache after all, i hated imaging with 1 setup no matter how good i make everything, i was lucky to get data of three NB filters, but i know it isn't good enough, and soon i will process the data and post elsewhere to see the quality of scope optic maybe, stars are bad because no dedicated flattener/reducer and no correct back focus.

Sorry for typing this, but i am really getting to finish this small setup very soon, so only left serious bigger setup in future such as a better mount and larger aperture scope for visual or even larger scope for smaller distant targets, but that is for future plan, for my current mount i can use it for small setup either dual or triple, will see how can i put it all together.

Thank you,

Tareq

Hello Tareq, how are you? The black on blue font you're using is really difficult to read. 

I would recommend Astro Photography Tool link to site. to solve a lot of your problems and is very user friendly and clearer than most similar capture programs. Once set up it will platesolve you straight to Stars and Targets  , also it will tell you exactly when the Meridian flip is going to happen , then i park the scope manually for the traget to pass beyond the meridian and so platesolve again and it continues on the target. 

HTH

Roger

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ApophisAstros said:

I would recommend Astro Photography Tool link to site. to solve a lot of your problems and is very user friendly and clearer than most similar capture programs. Once set up it will platesolve you straight to Stars and Targets  , also it will tell you exactly when the Meridian flip is going to happen , then i park the scope manually for the traget to pass beyond the meridian and so platesolve again and it continues on the target. 

HTH

Roger

That's cool, i have APT but i never tried it once before, i have to see which one i should try or use, APT or NINA, i am still getting used with SGPro, but they went different direction now that i don't want to follow [yearly payment], so thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I like APT too and have a licence but I only use N.I.N.A. now. It handles plate solving, slewing and centring to the target very well. I find the user interface is consistent and and generally easier remotely. But both programs require you to install other programs for the actual plate solving.

The guide scopes you have sound fine. I use a 30mm guide scope with an ASI120mm guide camera. This guides my HEQ5 pro to <> 1 arcsecond accuracy and often better. As I use that mount for my 70mm F5 refractor and 150mm F5 newt that guiding is good enough and smaller than the pixel resolution of the images.

It may be the guide camera that is letting you down not the guide scope. The ASI 120mm uses the AR0130 sensor which is more sensitive and lower noise compared to the older MT9M034 used on the original QHY5 guide camera.

1 hour ago, paul said:

I like APT too and have a licence but I only use N.I.N.A. now. It handles plate solving, slewing and centring to the target very well. I find the user interface is consistent and and generally easier remotely. But both programs require you to install other programs for the actual plate solving.

The guide scopes you have sound fine. I use a 30mm guide scope with an ASI120mm guide camera. This guides my HEQ5 pro to <> 1 arcsecond accuracy and often better. As I use that mount for my 70mm F5 refractor and 150mm F5 newt that guiding is good enough and smaller than the pixel resolution of the images.

It may be the guide camera that is letting you down not the guide scope. The ASI 120mm uses the AR0130 sensor which is more sensitive and lower noise compared to the older MT9M034 used on the original QHY5 guide camera.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for replying again.

Now i am still waiting the delivery of my second new scope, doublet 60ED, and still waiting the arrival of the reducers for both 60mm, then i will be busy using them, then i have to think about which telescope to buy this month when i will get my budget, for now i added one brand 70mm F6 triplet and will buy a reducer for it, then will use APS-C sensor camera to match with my FRA400/280mm scope, or buy something else next to those two 60mm so i can expose the narrowbanding filters SHO all together individually.

About the guiding, i found the issue is the connection type, when i connect directly to my laptop it stays connected, if i connect to my power box device it keep disconnect more often and never stay connected for entire night, i didn't try to test the imaging camera USB hub, but sounds any hub won't perform good with guiding, and that is weird because all other devices including USB3.0 are working fine, so if it is the camera then i have to find a guide scope then i can use one of my four planetary cameras, mainly two mono.

For now, with the budget coming, i am thinking about which last imaging scope i should buy to add to my setup so i will get busy next year, and also buying a focusing motor, and then i have to think about if i should buy another extra filter of SII or not, or buying that dual band filters newest one to use with my color camera or i better do NB only with mono, and definitely which guide scope because i will be using two separate dual imaging setup and thus i need to have one extra guiding system rather than swapping one between two, and last but not least, maybe buying a mini PC, by this i will end this year at the best i can, then net year i will buy other stuff whenever i can without rush.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:30 PM, TareqPhoto said:

Just an update, my second scope of 60mm ED doublet just arrived, now only waiting the reducers and i will be busy i hope.

The more I delve into this hobby the more things I find I need, just had to buy longer cables and of course I need a USB hub as not enough ports on the laptop. Will be worth it, am sure.

10 hours ago, Cumbrianwolf said:

The more I delve into this hobby the more things I find I need, just had to buy longer cables and of course I need a USB hub as not enough ports on the laptop. Will be worth it, am sure.

I have long cable already and i am using Pegasus Power Box Advance, really a game changer, ease my imaging setup around, i might add one more to have more flexibility, or something similar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nightspore said:

60ED?

n2tr05S.jpg

Yes, 60ED, but not from Altair as theirs are a bit expensive than what i found, mine are one from Apertura and the second or another one is from Sky Rover, Apertura mentioned it is FPL-53 while Sky Rover didn't, but i aw one member in another forum who did use Sky Rover 60 and it was very nice image, broadbanding of Andromeda, that sold me.

5 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Yes, 60ED, but not from Altair as theirs are a bit expensive than what i found, mine are one from Apertura and the second or another one is from Sky Rover, Apertura mentioned it is FPL-53 while Sky Rover didn't, but i aw one member in another forum who did use Sky Rover 60 and it was very nice image, broadbanding of Andromeda, that sold me.

Yes, it's the same scope. They're sold under a plethora of names. I was very close to buying a Tak' FS-60 in February but the retailer had sold out, so I went with the Altair. Plus I'm not particularly enamoured with Tak' focusers or finders. I bet I couldn't tell the difference visually with the Tak' anyway. 

6yfPPQf.jpg

Mine has a Strehl to die for lol. 

Altair have a version #3 now with included X-Rings.  I tried the X-Rings but went back to the long dovetail as it balanced better with 2" accessories. I only use it for visual. 

NhebQzy.jpg

I think they're all actually manufactured by JRX Optical. 

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Yes, it's the same scope. They're sold under a plethora of names. I was very close to buying a Tak' FS-60 in February but the retailer had sold out, so I went with the Altair. Plus I'm not particularly enamoured with Tak' focusers or finders. I bet I couldn't tell the difference visually with the Tak' anyway. 

6yfPPQf.jpg

Mine has a Strehl to die for lol. 

Altair have a version #3 now with included X-Rings.  I tried the X-Rings but went back to the long dovetail as it balanced better with 2" accessories. I only use it for visual. 

NhebQzy.jpg

I think they're all actually manufactured by JRX Optical. 

What a coincidence, i also was thinking or planning to go with Tak FS60-CB, just i got distracted with so many other things, and now i don't know if i will ever think about that Tak or any Tak anyway, but i am still open to an option soon if i can find something, i was thinking about a triplet in 60 aperture, that will put a perfect match to my two 60EDs, but not in rush and not a top priority.

Another coincidence, i was looking at that Altair X-Rings too to be used with my Sky Rover 60, i am using the scope for imaging next to another scope/camera combo, so balancing won't be an issue i believe, but i still don't know if it is worthy to buy that X-Rings and then later i find out that it was unnecessary really in side by side setup, and more important thing is that i always go with colors, so Altair red X-Rings will match my Sky Rover, i want something very similar to match my Blue line Aperture 60 then, or at least just a mount ring that is blue for 60mm and i already have a blue dovetail.

2 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

What a coincidence, i also was thinking or planning to go with Tak FS60-CB, just i got distracted with so many other things, and now i don't know if i will ever think about that Tak or any Tak anyway, but i am still open to an option soon if i can find something, i was thinking about a triplet in 60 aperture, that will put a perfect match to my two 60EDs, but not in rush and not a top priority.

Another coincidence, i was looking at that Altair X-Rings too to be used with my Sky Rover 60, i am using the scope for imaging next to another scope/camera combo, so balancing won't be an issue i believe, but i still don't know if it is worthy to buy that X-Rings and then later i find out that it was unnecessary really in side by side setup, and more important thing is that i always go with colors, so Altair red X-Rings will match my Sky Rover, i want something very similar to match my Blue line Aperture 60 then, or at least just a mount ring that is blue for 60mm and i already have a blue dovetail.

Yeah, I think it's this one:

dS7c1rv.png

I'm sure they're great scopes for around £700. Tak's use a Steinheil doublet I believe. Not sure about the triplets. It's only 1.4 kilo, although that's without cradle, dovetail or finder.

MGN4GuS.png

A further 293 quid for the tube cradle, finder bracket and finder though is pushing it IMO. I believe there are quick release finder bases available. Finding a dovetail to fit the cradle may not be straightforward either. Even a 2" eyepiece holder (no compression ring) is 99 quid! The focuser isn't rotatable and is only a single speed R&P. The 1.25" visual back twistlock isn't very inspiring either.

taYVG9S.jpg

If it's anything like the diagonal twistlock I wouldn't totally trust it with anything heavy. The very lightweight diagonal prism itself is great with superb contrast and colour separation, the housing isn't very robust in my opinion though. It isn't even supplied with dustcaps. The twistlock can have problems with barrel undercuts. I like it a lot, but it doesn't even have a threaded nosepiece. TBH it feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker lol.

59yuDQ3.jpg

So Tak's seem expensive to me and can't easily be used 'straight out of the box'. Unlike the Altair.

AGCrbLW.jpg

I thought the X-Rings, particularly the handle, would be more useful than they actually were. They shift the centre of gravity slightly forward as well (at least on my version).

vGQVWL7.jpg

The dovetail is quite light.

RDcMTPW.jpg

It ended up on my ST80 making a light rig for grab and go rich field.

Edited by Nightspore

3 hours ago, Nightspore said:

Yeah, I think it's this one:

dS7c1rv.png

I'm sure they're great scopes for around £700. Tak's use a Steinheil doublet I believe. Not sure about the triplets. It's only 1.4 kilo, although that's without cradle, dovetail or finder.

MGN4GuS.png

A further 293 quid for the tube cradle, finder bracket and finder though is pushing it IMO. I believe there are quick release finder bases available. Finding a dovetail to fit the cradle may not be straightforward either. Even a 2" eyepiece holder (no compression ring) is 99 quid! The focuser isn't rotatable and is only a single speed R&P. The 1.25" visual back twistlock isn't very inspiring either.

taYVG9S.jpg

If it's anything like the diagonal twistlock I wouldn't totally trust it with anything heavy. The very lightweight diagonal prism itself is great with superb contrast and colour separation, the housing isn't very robust in my opinion though. It isn't even supplied with dustcaps. The twistlock can have problems with barrel undercuts. I like it a lot, but it doesn't even have a threaded nosepiece. TBH it feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker lol.

59yuDQ3.jpg

So Tak's seem expensive to me and can't easily be used 'straight out of the box'. Unlike the Altair.

AGCrbLW.jpg

I thought the X-Rings, particularly the handle, would be more useful than they actually were. They shift the centre of gravity slightly forward as well (at least on my version).

vGQVWL7.jpg

The dovetail is quite light.

RDcMTPW.jpg

It ended up on my ST80 making a light rig for grab and go rich field.

I am not a visual type person yet, and for visual i already have a triplet and a quintuplet and even a Mak that is nice for bright targets and later i might buy a large dobsonian, so i am not thinking to buy a third scope or new one only to put it for visual, not of 60-70mm range, i can go wth a Tak because i was thinking more about narrowbanding, but i like to have the ability of using the scope for broadbanding so better color correction.

I can add my FRA400 quintuplet into the two 60mm setup and it will be a good match, no actually a better match becaue 72 is a larger aperture and with 0.7x reducer it is even faster, so i can collect more data signal, but i keep thinking too much about equipment equation and calculations and i can't feel like i got a final wise correct answer yet, but i can't just stop or look back.

There is Sharpstar 61 EDPH II, but it sounds the optics aren't good, and from another forum i aw people just contacted the manufacturer to get a new optic that is better correction, but it is still like give and take sometimes, i waited long time to get good setup so i don't want to slow down now yet, for narrowbanding it is always an easy decision, but for broadbanding, i can't just depend on those two small doublets to impress me in broadbanding, so if i will use many filters at once it is better to have one cope at least that can make corrected color, blue is mainly the problem, and lum also should be tight, and that is the only thing left for me this year/month to decide about.

I saw one cope which is 70mm triplet, but i don't know what it will match, the two 60EDs or FRA400 or nothing, it is cheap, but i don't want to buy it and then feel like it is not the best choice, the good nice mistake i put myself in is that getting 5 cameras, only one of them is different model and alone, so it is like it doesn't have any perfect match without having same camera as well then i will have like 3 dual setup, and i am trying to stay with the cheap affordable items as long i can, and that is like made me lost and can't do imaging for while until i am done.

10 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

I am not a visual type person yet, and for visual i already have a triplet and a quintuplet and even a Mak that is nice for bright targets and later i might buy a large dobsonian, so i am not thinking to buy a third scope or new one only to put it for visual, not of 60-70mm range, i can go wth a Tak because i was thinking more about narrowbanding, but i like to have the ability of using the scope for broadbanding so better color correction.

I can add my FRA400 quintuplet into the two 60mm setup and it will be a good match, no actually a better match becaue 72 is a larger aperture and with 0.7x reducer it is even faster, so i can collect more data signal, but i keep thinking too much about equipment equation and calculations and i can't feel like i got a final wise correct answer yet, but i can't just stop or look back.

There is Sharpstar 61 EDPH II, but it sounds the optics aren't good, and from another forum i aw people just contacted the manufacturer to get a new optic that is better correction, but it is still like give and take sometimes, i waited long time to get good setup so i don't want to slow down now yet, for narrowbanding it is always an easy decision, but for broadbanding, i can't just depend on those two small doublets to impress me in broadbanding, so if i will use many filters at once it is better to have one cope at least that can make corrected color, blue is mainly the problem, and lum also should be tight, and that is the only thing left for me this year/month to decide about.

I saw one cope which is 70mm triplet, but i don't know what it will match, the two 60EDs or FRA400 or nothing, it is cheap, but i don't want to buy it and then feel like it is not the best choice, the good nice mistake i put myself in is that getting 5 cameras, only one of them is different model and alone, so it is like it doesn't have any perfect match without having same camera as well then i will have like 3 dual setup, and i am trying to stay with the cheap affordable items as long i can, and that is like made me lost and can't do imaging for while until i am done.

I considered a triplet or greater once, but to be honest a good doublet suffices for visual. ED doublets with FPL 53 and high quality crowns can have better contrast and acuity than triplets IME. They're also lighter and cool down faster. With my physical disability the lighter the scope and mount; the easier it is to set-up. My 102mm Starwave can push 5kg all-up even only using 1.25" accessories.

uPFacBWl.jpg

The plan this year was to get the Starwave out more often, particularly with the Porta II/TL-130 rather than the heavier Hal-130/half pillar combo. It requires only two journeys, so much easier with my disability. I've experimented with balance and it's pretty stable like this although I can't point it directly at the zenith without removing the focuser tension screw. The screw contacts the mount otherwise. I can look almost at the zenith though so it's a compromise. Anything at the zenith doesn't stay there for long anyway so it's not a biggie.

gyYxnzYl.jpg

I even bought this 1.25" Baader BBHS mirror diagonal especially for the Starwave. Again, the plan was to use a 1.25" Baader Zeiss Amici for the Moon and the mirror for everything else. All the EP's would be 1.25". Previously I'd usually use a 2" APM or Baader 2" BBHS Amici with the Starwave. And I have a 2" Tele Vue Everbrite. 2" EP's can seriously affect the weight and balance using the TL-130 tripod so the plan was to stay 1.25".

a51A5enl.jpg

I have some really nice 1.25" EP's that work really well with this set-up, including: a complete set of Tak' ortho's, 7, 9, 13 & 16mm Naglers, a 10mm Delos, 3 & 4mm Delites, 14mm Morpheus, 24mm Panoptic and a Pentax XL zoom. I don't consider it really a rich field instrument with 1.25" EP's although I can get as low as 29.75x with the 24mm Panoptic and about 22x with the 32mm Tak' ortho. 

HDzrancl.jpg

Unfortunately, due to various reasons (mainly health) the Starwave didn't get out this year at all. I have had 137 sessions though. Most of them with apertures of 80mm or smaller. I'm going to make a bigger effort next year!

Edited by Nightspore

12 hours ago, Nightspore said:

I considered a triplet or greater once, but to be honest a good doublet suffices for visual. ED doublets with FPL 53 and high quality crowns can have better contrast and acuity than triplets IME. They're also lighter and cool down faster. With my physical disability the lighter the scope and mount; the easier it is to set-up. My 102mm Starwave can push 5kg all-up even only using 1.25" accessories.

uPFacBWl.jpg

The plan this year was to get the Starwave out more often, particularly with the Porta II/TL-130 rather than the heavier Hal-130/half pillar combo. It requires only two journeys, so much easier with my disability. I've experimented with balance and it's pretty stable like this although I can't point it directly at the zenith without removing the focuser tension screw. The screw contacts the mount otherwise. I can look almost at the zenith though so it's a compromise. Anything at the zenith doesn't stay there for long anyway so it's not a biggie.

gyYxnzYl.jpg

I even bought this 1.25" Baader BBHS mirror diagonal especially for the Starwave. Again, the plan was to use a 1.25" Baader Zeiss Amici for the Moon and the mirror for everything else. All the EP's would be 1.25". Previously I'd usually use a 2" APM or Baader 2" BBHS Amici with the Starwave. And I have a 2" Tele Vue Everbrite. 2" EP's can seriously affect the weight and balance using the TL-130 tripod so the plan was to stay 1.25".

a51A5enl.jpg

I have some really nice 1.25" EP's that work really well with this set-up, including: a complete set of Tak' ortho's, 7, 9, 13 & 16mm Naglers, a 10mm Delos, 3 & 4mm Delites, 14mm Morpheus, 24mm Panoptic and a Pentax XL zoom. I don't consider it really a rich field instrument with 1.25" EP's although I can get as low as 29.75x with the 24mm Panoptic and about 22x with the 32mm Tak' ortho. 

HDzrancl.jpg

Unfortunately, due to various reasons (mainly health) the Starwave didn't get out this year at all. I have had 137 sessions though. Most of them with apertures of 80mm or smaller. I'm going to make a bigger effort next year!

Nice collection of EPs.

As i said, i am not a visual guy yet, but i can think about it once i buy a large dobsonian which will be dedicated for visual and for planetary imaging.

For now i am trying to finish my WIDE field setup either with dual scope or triple scope, then i can think about visual, and weight isn't a problem for me, i don't make my decisions according to weight, i know many think about size and weight a lot, i am 41 now, so i still can handle it, i have 8" F/5 Newtonian which is already very heavy, even my 90mm triplet i heavy, also my Akar FRA400 i also heavy because it has 5 glasses inside, and with camera attached and guide scope that will also add to weight, i can't complain now at thsi stage about weight anymore.

I hope to choose right things by now, i want to start astrophotography at best by next year, so i am trying to finish my equipment much of it as soon as possible so i don't think about anything missing, and i try to collect data in less time than spending nights and nights for one target, and i still don't know what else to get and then how to combine things, but i am already there, and i keep asking about it like million times and i feel no one is following or able to answer that anyway.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Nice collection of EPs.

As i said, i am not a visual guy yet, but i can think about it once i buy a large dobsonian which will be dedicated for visual and for planetary imaging.

For now i am trying to finish my WIDE field setup either with dual scope or triple scope, then i can think about visual, and weight isn't a problem for me, i don't make my decisions according to weight, i know many think about size and weight a lot, i am 41 now, so i still can handle it, i have 8" F/5 Newtonian which is already very heavy, even my 90mm triplet i heavy, also my Akar FRA400 i also heavy because it has 5 glasses inside, and with camera attached and guide scope that will also add to weight, i can't complain now at thsi stage about weight anymore.

I hope to choose right things by now, i want to start astrophotography at best by next year, so i am trying to finish my equipment much of it as soon as possible so i don't think about anything missing, and i try to collect data in less time than spending nights and nights for one target, and i still don't know what else to get and then how to combine things, but i am already there, and i keep asking about it like million times and i feel no one is following or able to answer that anyway.

I'm not a fan of Dob's, although I can see their appeal. I think weight and balance aren't such an issue if you can have a permanent set-up or an observatory of some sort. I leave my EQ5 outside covered with a tarpaulin. Although I only use it with a 150mm GSO Newtonian. Weight and size can be an issue for me as I'm partially paralysed, and I'm often worried about dropping something expensive lol. There's always something else to get. I'm not sure what it is either though!

On 12/21/2021 at 2:04 AM, Nightspore said:

I'm not a fan of Dob's, although I can see their appeal. I think weight and balance aren't such an issue if you can have a permanent set-up or an observatory of some sort. I leave my EQ5 outside covered with a tarpaulin. Although I only use it with a 150mm GSO Newtonian. Weight and size can be an issue for me as I'm partially paralysed, and I'm often worried about dropping something expensive lol. There's always something else to get. I'm not sure what it is either though!

It is ok, i can understand, only to my situation or case i have no problem with weight, sure it is an issue, but not a big deal or decision changer anyway, i saw a dobsonian that is a bit lightweight even with that big size, and with something wheels beneath it i can move/transport it around, i only and always do imaging and visual from my house year, so it is a short distance, and maybe one day i can buy something like a small shed i can place it somewhere in m yard then i can just store my gear i use mostly or say either my EQ mount or my future dob there and then i can just take it out in no time and start using it.