How many sessions observing/imaging did you do in 2021?

TerryMcK

I have recorded 57 unique days outside imaging this year. This includes the odd few days where I was imaging in the early hours of the morning and then the same day during the evening.

This was a total of 101 sessions in that time - so far - but I don't hold up much hope at adding any to that before the end of the year.

As a comparison last year, 2020, I had 52 unique days outside with a total of 79 sessions (morning evening etc). About the same each year.

So even though we in the UK have a marine environment, which gives lots of clouds dependant on where in the UK you live of course, I think that having the ability to image for 15% of the year is probably par for the course for those of us without a permanent observatory.

3 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I have recorded 57 unique days outside imaging this year. This includes the odd few days where I was imaging in the early hours of the morning and then the same day during the evening.

This was a total of 101 sessions in that time - so far - but I don't hold up much hope at adding any to that before the end of the year.

As a comparison last year, 2020, I had 52 unique days outside with a total of 79 sessions (morning evening etc). About the same each year.

So even though we in the UK have a marine environment, which gives lots of clouds dependant on where in the UK you live of course, I think that having the ability to image for 15% of the year is probably par for the course for those of us without a permanent observatory.

It ain't over yet lol. I've had 137 sessions so far this year, 64 of them with my 72ED DS Pro. Better than last year's 103 sessions. I've had over 140 in years gone by. If I'm lucky I'll make 140 this year.  

• Like 1

Oh boy, this is just depressing. I can honestly say that every night that it has been clear this year I have been out. The only exception would be a couple of nights in June when it was just not dark enough to bother. 

And I have managed the grand total of 19 sessions since Jan 1 2021. Yes, that's correct NINETEEN.

The west of Ireland really is not the place for AP.

• Like 1

I'm counting 22 sessions, not including those nights where I set up and got one or two lights before the clouds rolled in, but counting a number of nights where play was interrupted before a full set was captured or where the results were underwhelming due to poor conditions. I'd count 12 images that I would consider as acceptable outcomes.

Early January was good; some nights in March; July/August, and practically nothing since. Still, it was a year of great learning and my enthusiasm hasn't been dented yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padraic M said:

I'm counting 22 sessions, not including those nights where I set up and got one or two lights before the clouds rolled in, but counting a number of nights where play was interrupted before a full set was captured or where the results were underwhelming due to poor conditions. I'd count 12 images that I would consider as acceptable outcomes.

Early January was good; some nights in March; July/August, and practically nothing since. Still, it was a year of great learning and my enthusiasm hasn't been dented yet!

Totally dismal! I'd have to say my frustration is starting to impact on my enthusiasm. Especially when met.ie, clear outside and meteoblue are all giving wildly different predictions.

Out of interest, of your 22 how many were down in Kerry?

@Dmack1 at an educated guess I'd say about half and half. January was good in Kerry, and the July sessions were Kerry. Other than that, it was Dublin. There's been pretty much nothing in either location since September.

I've had plenty of practice with polar aligning as I've had nearly as many more nights where I set up under perfect skies only to see the clouds roll in within the hour. Agh!

• Like 1

As I suspected, Oct-Dec were again very poor months here in South Wales. The year overall has been a repeat of the last 3 with less than 40 imaging sessions (long clear nights <10).  To maximise the limited opportunities I am fortunate to now have 3 imaging setups available.

While resigned to the somewhat disappointing skies, I greatly enjoy the hands on engineering aspects of working and maintaining the 3 systems with their 6 imaging options.

The latest CMOs camera’s have been a productive boost, enabling more complete DSO image sets due to reduced frame times.  I now use 5 min frames for Broadband (LRGB) and 10 min frames for Narrowband (3nm Ha, Sii, Oiii).  I have only one FF CCD Camera which collects 15-30 min frames and that will likely change when funds become available.

To offset the limited new datasets, I use Pixinsight to reprocess my old data and the results continue to improve as my Pixinsight knowledge increases.

Technology advances with AP equipment and software has greatly improved the quality of AP for U.K. Astronomers, while the clear skies are elusive the data quality and end products have never been better.

Heres hopping for clear skies in the new year.

• Like 1