Dust anybody? Dust? No?

Astroarg

I keep forgetting to post here.. I dip in and out most days then forget to put my images on here!

To try something different I wanted to capture the surrounding dust of M45 that also reflects the light.  The attached is a mix of 120s and 180s images, totalling just over 3 hours.. I'm going to add another 2 hours into it once the moon makes a disappearance in the hope I can bring out the detail a little more.

I've added a haze to the processing on purpose, as it removes some of the noise generated when bringing up the background.  The framing is on purpose; there is a lot of that additional reflective dust to the left side of the image!

CAPTURE DETAILS
38 x 180s (1hr 54m)
36 x 120s (1hr 12m)

Altair 72EDF + dedicated 1x flattener
Altair 26C + Optolong L Pro
iOptron CEM25P guided with Altair MG32 package
Captured in NINA
Processed in PI with Master Dark, Flat and DarkFlat calibration

m45.jpg

• Like 6

High fat or low fat? Dust...

Nice capture....I like the way you've kept decent star colours in the background. I find it quite difficult to keep the colour of stars. I hadn't realised till studying your pic that there's even more dust to the left of the cluster...it's faint, but it's there. Nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sterrenland said:

Nice capture....I like the way you've kept decent star colours in the background. I find it quite difficult to keep the colour of stars. I hadn't realised till studying your pic that there's even more dust to the left of the cluster...it's faint, but it's there. Nice!

I got bored of seeing black space and wondered if there is anything else there that could be teased out. I’m in Bortle 4 so wasn’t expecting miracles, but I think adding another 2-3 hours to this (5-6 total) will really start to bring it out, and I’d love to get up to 10 hours before this season is over…

here is the dream! (Not my image)

image.jpeg.ab4194572789647b70219cc765de2b0b.jpeg

Edited by Astroarg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sterrenland said:

I process in PI. I make a starless image after the initial stretch, so all stretching is done without the stars. I then tweak the star image ever so slightly before merging back to the starless after that’s had curves and further work on it

18DF269F-3F61-42DE-8912-766471F59247.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Astroarg said:

I've added a haze to the processing on purpose, as it removes some of the noise generated when bringing up the background. 

There is another way to reduce the noise when bringing up detail in the background. After stretching the image, extract the luminance channel, and apply TGVDenoise to the luminance. You can then work on the background and nebula, when you are happy with the colour etc, apply convolution to the nebula, and blur it, using a strong setting, maybe 7 or 8. You only need the colour in the RGB image, the detail will come from the lum data by integrating it with the RGB by using LRGB combine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:31 AM, TareqPhoto said:

Really so inspiring to see your result is from a color camera with a doublet which they say it is not that perfect color corrected, but your results is good enough as if it was taken by a triplet and mono cameras with filters, great job 👍

The AA 72EDF is fpl53 glass, I think this makes the difference on doublets. I do also have a flattener in situ so a “triplet” 🤔

22 minutes ago, Astroarg said:

The AA 72EDF is fpl53 glass, I think this makes the difference on doublets. I do also have a flattener in situ so a “triplet” 🤔

Having FPL-53 doesn't make a doublet to become a triplet, i saw Takahashi having a doublet with Fluorite which is better than FPL-53 and still it has color correction issue, so it is still the type of design is affecting here, i think FPL-53 only making the light better quality as i mentioned somewhere and not making it corrected.

The flattener is only flatten the field, has nothing to do with color correction, even most Newtonian need a coma corrector while the Newt itself is color corrected already or CA free.