10 minutes test capture of M42 with new rig

mightymonoped

This was really just a bunch of 30 second exposures taken with the view of using them later as part of a HDR image hopefully combining 30s, 180s and 300s captures.

As it turned out, I only managed to grab 20 x 30s

Didn't even manage to grab any darks for this yet (only have 180s Master Dark and calibrated Master Flat and Bad Pixel Map at the moment).

Anyway, thought I'd integrate what I had so far just to get an idea on what things look like with the 80ED and ASI294mc pro combo.

This is a 10 minute capture under moderate Moon conditions using the Optolong L-Pro filter.

Integrated in Astro Pixel Processor then processed in Photoshop using Topaz AI Denoise and a bit of Camera Raw Filter and curves to bring out the details a bit.

Looking forward to getting a couple of hours worth now! 🙂

Tony 

M42-quick.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, mightymonoped said:

get a full library of darks for the 80ED yet. 😊

🤔You have me worried. I have sets of darks I use for all sessions/scopes. I just pick the darks matching duration and gain. In the past I've created the library off the scope in a dark box or draw. Easy with a cooled camera but I did that for my dslr too. 

7 hours ago, paul said:

🤔You have me worried. I have sets of darks I use for all sessions/scopes. I just pick the darks matching duration and gain. In the past I've created the library off the scope in a dark box or draw. Easy with a cooled camera but I did that for my dslr too. 

Don’t be worried, I do the same but I’m using this as an opportunity to refresh and reorganise myself. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_S said:

Nicely done Tony. I look forward to seeing it combined with some short exposures to bring out the detail in the Trapezium core. But given that these were 30s exposures, you will need to some shorter exposures than 30s.

Yes Dave, may need to go as low as 5s on this one. Also, because of the limited window of visibility from the balcony, may be better limiting longer exposures to 120s as this may be the sweet spot for detail/signal to noise on this target given the restricted conditions.