Welcome to Backyard Astronomy Space - please register to gain access to all of our features. Click here for more details. ×
SmallWorldsForum Microscopy and macro photography - a companion forum to BYA ×

New ZWO Mount?

AstronomyUkraine

ZWO are launching a new product for their upcoming 10th anniversary next week. There has been a lot of speculation regarding what it could be. Today I was sent a link to the ASIAIR Pro FB page fom @Hannahgrace apparently showing an image of a Harmonic mount being tested by ZWO. Whether this comes to fruition, and is the new product, we will find out next week I guess.

268636814_1123846531761284_5305706470167841451_n.thumb.jpg.a938c1cf80e2126904589db32915e570.jpg

• Like 1

It looks like something that can take some weight too considering it doesn't have any counterweights. It reminds me a bit of a Rainbow Astro RST-135

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

It looks like something that can take some weight too considering it doesn't have any counterweights. It reminds me a bit of a Rainbow Astro RST-135

It looks like a C11 on it, so it might even take as much as the RST-300. Whatever it can carry, I'm sure the price will be North of 5k to buy one.

2 hours ago, Hannahgrace said:

Will be very interesting to see the release 😬

I hope it doesn't have the EQ6 adjustment bolts on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-am5-harmonic-equatorial-mount

There it is! "Taking pre-orders for delivery in April"

Spec is 13kg without counterweight

20 kg with counterweight

both EQ and AZ modes

Mount only weighs 5kg and you can spec it with a carbon fibre tripod.

Looks great for portable and backyard work.

Interestingly it doesn't appear to come with any counterweights although it's that new on the website they might arrive later on.

Interface is USB and/or Wifi (for an app) and it seems to be a full goto mount. No ASCOM or INDI drivers mentioned....yet.

1 hour ago, TerryMcK said:

Interestingly it doesn't appear to come with any counterweights although it's that new on the website they might arrive later on.

Interface is USB and/or Wifi (for an app) and it seems to be a full goto mount. No ASCOM or INDI drivers mentioned....yet.

This is all I found out about it. The ZWO website is very slow to load up, must be a lot of traffic I guess. This is what little information I found on it. I'm assuming it will integrate with the ASIAIR, using it's hotspot in the field.

We'd like to introduce ZWO AM5 Harmonic Equatorial Mount to you this Christmas day. Pre-order here: https://bit.ly/30WHgeh Order before 31st Jan, 2022 to get the carbon fiber tripod (value $299) for FREE! The first batch will come at about the end of March or April, 2022. Prices are $1999 for the mount and $299 for the tripod.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.8af2f7cfb9da545c6dc543623d94851d.jpg

Edited by AstronomyUkraine
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A very interesting addition to the mount options. Pegasus are also about to release a harmonic drive mount so there will be plenty of choice.

Having experience of being a beta tester for a brand new mount I  don’t wish to repeat that nightmare, so will not be tempted by any initial discount and will wait until real world user feedback confirms the mount and more importantly, software’s operational performance.

Given the inherent PEC challenge of these mounts I suspect a short guide duration will be necessary, which doesn’t always suit the seeing here in the U.K.

I hope they all do well and I may be tempted to replace my mobile system mount in the future. Great to see so much innovation is still happening within this hobby, the future looks good.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

very interested to see how these perform. At the moment it looks like a C11 on a star tracker and I'm not sure how comfortable i'd be with that no matter how good they are. In fact I did see a vid a while ago where the tripod was severely in risk of toppling over when the scope was in a certain position.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you can add one to get more capacity. Harmonic drive motors originated in the heavy duty precision robotics industry.