EQ Mount tracking wrong way.

I'm a beginner and started my venture into the hobby with a Sky-Watcher 130P Newtonian on their AZ GTi Wi-Fi mount.   I've had great fun with that on the few clear nights there have been since I bought it.

But then a Celestron 130EQ motorized mount and set of good quality eyepieces came up for sale locally at a bargain price, so I bought them and separately bought a Sky-Watcher 102 refractor to put on the EQ mount but I've been scratching my head over this mount ever since.

With the set up as in the picture and the motor set to Northern hemisphere it tracks the mount anticlockwise looking from the back of the scope, that is, the scope is tracking away from you in the picture.

I now give up trying to get the EQ mount to track in the right direction because I don't see any other way to set the mount up or attach the scope and I post here in the hope and expectation that someone will tell me what on Earth I've done wrong. If it's something simple and stupid I'll gladly hold my hand up.

Thanks in anticipation............ 

20211223_172023.jpg

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

I'm a beginner and started my venture into the hobby with a Sky-Watcher 130P Newtonian on their AZ GTi Wi-Fi mount.   I've had great fun with that on the few clear nights there have been since I bought it.

But then a Celestron 130EQ motorized mount and set of good quality eyepieces came up for sale locally at a bargain price, so I bought them and separately bought a Sky-Watcher 102 refractor to put on the EQ mount but I've been scratching my head over this mount ever since.

With the set up as in the picture and the motor set to Northern hemisphere it tracks the mount anticlockwise looking from the back of the scope, that is, the scope is tracking away from you in the picture.

I now give up trying to get the EQ mount to track in the right direction because I don't see any other way to set the mount up or attach the scope and I post here in the hope and expectation that someone will tell me what on Earth I've done wrong. If it's something simple and stupid I'll gladly hold my hand up.

Thanks in anticipation............ 

20211223_172023.jpg

Have you tried setting the scope to the Southern hemisphere to see if the scope tracks correctly? If it does, there is obviously something wired up wrong internally.

Yes , done that and it tracks the 'right way' when set to 'S' on the motor cover switch.  I've examined the circuit board very carefully and it's pristine, no one has touched it and I'm certain it's as it left the factory.  There's a You Tube video of this same motor being fixed to an EQ mount and it's exactly how I did it.  Unfortunately the video does not mention direction of rotation of the motor coupling but I've posted a comment there asking that question.  This doesn't make sense.  There has to be an explanation of it.

• Like 1

Yes , done that and it tracks the 'right way' when set to 'S' on the motor cover switch.  I've examined the circuit board very carefully and it's pristine, no one has touched it and I'm certain it's as it left the factory.  There's a You Tube video of this same motor being fixed to an EQ mount and it's exactly how I did it.  Unfortunately the video does not mention direction of rotation of the motor coupling but I've posted a comment there asking that question.  This doesn't make sense.  There has to be an explanation of it.

That's weird. So the motor is working in reverse of how it should be? I'm not electrically minded, so I have no idea why it would track like that.

I'm very new to this hobby so most likely I'm wrong,  but I've read in different forums of people talking about their telescope going in the wrong direction and some of the time it came down to setting the date wrong... Instead of date/month maybe it should be month/date...again, I'm new to this but I do know how a simple electric motor works...as I'm sure most of you do...is it possible that maybe the power and ground wires are somehow reversed? I only say that because, for example, a power door window motor in a car has two wires, let's say a red and black. For the window to go up, the red is power and the black is ground. For the window to go down, black is power and red is ground...now if the wires were reversed, hitting the up button would make the window do down....Again, I'm new, but just figured I'd try to help...

There's definitely something very strange going on here.  The point about the motor +ve and -ve connections is a valid one.  If they were reversed the dc motor would run the opposite way but it's a PP3 battery with a standard battery clip which is wired correctly, (I'm an electronics engineer}, so that's not the answer I'm afraid.  There is no date and time involvement.

I could put it right by simply mounting the telescope on the mount the other way round of course, but that would put everything back to front and upside down with the DEC slow motion control facing forwards and so on.  So that's not the answer either. 

I know there's a chap quite near where I live who is an experienced amateur astronomer so I might just go and knock on his door.

Thanks for your help and suggestions - much appreciated.

There's definitely something very strange going on here.  The point about the motor +ve and -ve connections is a valid one.  If they were reversed the dc motor would run the opposite way but it's a PP3 battery with a standard battery clip which is wired correctly, (I'm an electronics engineer}, so that's not the answer I'm afraid.  There is no date and time involvement.

I could put it right by simply mounting the telescope on the mount the other way round of course, but that would put everything back to front and upside down with the DEC slow motion control facing forwards and so on.  So that's not the answer either. 

I know there's a chap quite near where I live who is an experienced amateur astronomer so I might just go and knock on his door.

Thanks for your help and suggestions - much appreciated.

If the motor is operating in reverse of what it should be doing, is it going to make any difference to how the scope tracks? If you keep it in the Southern hemisphere setting, it will still track. Not an ideal situation if you ever want to sell it, but it shouldn't stop you from enjoying the scope.

Hi Brian, yes that's what I'm going to do.  I've just been tracking the sun with it and watched several large sun spots, (with a solar filter of course).

With it the motor set to 'S' Southern Hemisphere it kept the sun absolutely dead centre eyepiece for about 10 minutes.  Just to compare I set it to 'N'  and the sun shot out of the eyepiece in a few seconds.

So I have no idea what's going on here but as you say, It doesn't stop the enjoyment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Hi Brian, yes that's what I'm going to do.  I've just been tracking the sun with it and watched several large sun spots, (with a solar filter of course).

With it the motor set to 'S' Southern Hemisphere it kept the sun absolutely dead centre eyepiece for about 10 minutes.  Just to compare I set it to 'N'  and the sun shot out of the eyepiece in a few seconds.

So I have no idea what's going on here but as you say, It doesn't stop the enjoyment.

I can only assume the switch on the motor controller has been wired up wrong.

Just  to draw  a line under this topic, two things........

Firstly, I sent a question about this to Celestron Customer Support and got the most pathetic response you can imagine.  They said the motor might be mounted on the wrong side of the RA worm gear shaft, yet the motor can only be mounted in one place because that's where they put the motor bracket securing bolt on the mount.  Then they said, well just operate it in 'S' mode.  So much for Celestron customer care and their professional self-respect!

Secondly, on researching this I have found several people in the northern hemisphere who have reported this motor tracking in the wrong direction, so it's not just me and there is something definitely wrong with this motor or maybe just some of them out of the factory.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peter B said:

Just  to draw  a line under this topic, two things........

Firstly, I sent a question about this to Celestron Customer Support and got the most pathetic response you can imagine.  They said the motor might be mounted on the wrong side of the RA worm gear shaft, yet the motor can only be mounted in one place because that's where they put the motor bracket securing bolt on the mount.  Then they said, well just operate it in 'S' mode.  So much for Celestron customer care and their professional self-respect!

Secondly, on researching this I have found several people in the northern hemisphere who have reported this motor tracking in the wrong direction, so it's not just me and there is something definitely wrong with this motor or maybe just some of them out of the factory.

Sounds like quality control is not a priority of Celestron, or the company that manufactures these motors.