January 2022 - anyone one playing tonight?

TerryMcK

• TerryMcK locked and unlocked this topic

I sure hope it does, as I am itching to get the new / old set-up out and into action as I need to fine tune everything to work as one, before I can begin any serious astro-imaging. A very big learning curve with little actual time to learn thanks to the weather.

I sure hope it does too. I caught a glimpse of Orion last night - first time this winter I've managed to see all of him. It was blowing a gale but I was tempted to set up anyway. Obviously it was full cloud again a few minutes later.

• Like 1

I'm imaging 😀

First time since first week of December

Had taken all my equipment out of the Obsy - as it was so damp and I dont run a dehumidifier as its a Skyshed POD thats on a deck .

Anyway, back on the horse and pulling Ha - will switch to Oiii once Orion gets higher

Good to be back

image.thumb.png.a1dac6702c02528324fa5f1a68797b35.png

• Like 4

Amazed that the sky is still clear - cue clouds...- but I am now into low 20 300s subs, hopefully get 3 hrs tonight.

Guiding is also holding up very well 0.8-0.9rms so far.

Had a bit of a issue, again, with EKOS auto focus routine, but focus looks good so far now I set the max move parameter to a very low number, 150, it decided to move 90000+ in first phase so I noticed and stopped it - no idea why it randomly makes huge moves when its near a good focus.

Bryan

• Like 1

It is looking fantastic for tonight's potential of astrophotography here in the NW of the UK. I am out of the loop with what to image tonight, so suggestions welcomed and some rough settings for DSLR if at all possible. My main aim tonight is to get all the equipment talking to each other via the laptop, rather than focusing on perfect images, so it will be more of a fun session with some choice curse words no doubt as things do not always go to plan. 🙂

Try getting the rig to talk to the equipment during the day if you have time and then you are not messing around in the dark.

Here are a few suggestions: 

• Elephants Trunk IC1396
  • Veil Nebula 
  • Straight up for the Pacman
  • Heart Nebula is a big one
  • North America nebula is a bigger one.

I've set up both my scopes up for tonight and tomorrow which also looks good. I'm getting some more data on the Flaming Star with my 103 (a project I started months - in fact over a 18 months ago) and the RedCat is setup for LBN582 which is an area of HII

• Like 1

Tonight's forecast looks fantastic - which is typical as I'm back in the city from today. Spent the last week in Bortle 2 with nothing but wind and rain. 

Took a peep out at 2:30 am this morning and I've never seen the stars so bright. Would have set up there and then if we didn't have a long drive to do today. It's been so long since the sky has been clear that I couldn't believe that Orion is so far west, and Leo is charging along.

No problem seeing the Auriga ladder by eye, and M36,37,38 with the binoculars. The Beehive looked fantastic.

Still to decide on tonight's target. Got a 150PDS over Christmas so it will be first time out with a decent Newtonian. Target will need to be relatively small but bright.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Padraic M said:

Tonight's forecast looks fantastic - which is typical as I'm back in the city from today. Spent the last week in Bortle 2 with nothing but wind and rain. 

Took a peep out at 2:30 am this morning and I've never seen the stars so bright. Would have set up there and then if we didn't have a long drive to do today. It's been so long since the sky has been clear that I couldn't believe that Orion is so far west, and Leo is charging along.

No problem seeing the Auriga ladder by eye, and M36,37,38 with the binoculars. The Beehive looked fantastic.

Still to decide on tonight's target. Got a 150PDS over Christmas so it will be first time out with a decent Newtonian. Target will need to be relatively small but bright.

Murphy's law strikes again, but it's better than nothing. I havn't been out for two weeks now. The forecast says it will be clear on Saturday, but that's a long way off.

• Like 2

I was off target slightly last night (IC405 Flaming Star) even though the plate solving appeared to work ok it shoved the nebula off to one side. I've run the resultant images through astrometry.net and it showed the centre of the image slightly differently to where it should have been. So tonight I will be targeting the main star at the nebula location , which is known under several names, known as HIP24575. That seems to frame nicely on Stellarium.

image.thumb.png.74e121ff613a92a1a58695f1238c4c0d.png

I think the error may have been a combination of things plus I'm using a new camera so there may be something in the observatory software that I hadn't changed. Anyway the images I did get were crisp despite seeing being appalling last night.

• Like 3

I had one of those nights that if it wasn't so frustrating it would have been hilarious. I suppose it was to be expected with a new scope and a new guide scope/camera. Long story short, after restarting and rebooting everything many times, and swapping out my Power Box Advanced for a different USB hub, I realised 2 hours later that all of those camera disconnects and failures were because Phd2 had decided to pick up my ASI1600mm as guide cam rather than the new ASI120mm mini, so Phd2 and NINA were both trying to use it at the same time. 

Then it got cloudy. Then it started to rain (!!!) so I took everything inside. Then it cleared up so I set up again, then the neighbour's dog decided that she doesn't like astrophotography.

What do you do at 2:30am when your neighbour gets out of bed to look for burglars? Well I hid! 🙂 🙂 🙂. I'm not proud.

Anyway, as soon as the coast was clear and the sky was clear, I did manage to get 3 hours of NGC 2903 and a little sleep, but as autofocus refused to work for me, I'll just put this down as a learning experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had an issue with my EQM35 mount last night too. It stopped responding to any commands and even plugged in the handset to try it out manually. Same problem no response. So I gave up on that and brought it indoors this morning. It turns out that I just had to do a factory reset with the handset. FIxed it.

Moral of the story - make sure you keep your hand controller somewhere available for emergencies even if you only ever connect the mount to a computer.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Padraic M said:

I realised 2 hours later that all of those camera disconnects and failures were because Phd2 had decided to pick up my ASI1600mm as guide cam rather than the new ASI120mm mini, so Phd2 and NINA were both trying to use it at the same time. 

I've had that happen to me a few times with PHD2, not sure if it's the ZWO driver, or a PHD2 problem.

4 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I think the error may have been a combination of things plus I'm using a new camera so there may be something in the observatory software that I hadn't changed. Anyway the images I did get were crisp despite seeing being appalling last night.

Looks like you caught the Jet stream last night in the UK, Terry. I'm happy not to be imaging tonight, the Jet stream is reported to be 63 m/s here, but dropping slightly to 56 m/s. Not sure I have ever seen it so high before. Luckily by the time my next clear night comes around, the Jet stream will be in the low 20s.

Edited by AstronomyUkraine

I'm hoping to get out in next 30-40mins and get more data on the horsehead, probably Sii.

I also had rediculous gremlins last night after I merdian flipped - The mount lost its sync and after plate solve decided to flip back again... PHD2 kept reporting a lost star when there were no clouds and when guiding did start, after 3 calibration attempts it kept drifting and spiking up to 5 rms !! Anyway clouds rolled over and saved me from a complete melt down - so i'm hoping its too cold now for gremlins to lurk in my obsy this evening

Wow. I'm not certain what the colours are but it must be something dodgy. Guiding is ok at the moment but just over 1"  RMS. Normally, since replacing the bearings, it is around 0.5 to 0.6RMS

I'm not using PHD2 but using the internal guiding within EKOS which is also multi-star.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Wow. I'm not certain what the colours are but it must be something dodgy

Wind speed yellow is 100km per hour through red at 150kph up to 200kph for purple - so rather rapid air flows above us in UK thanks to  the Jet Stream - hence why guiding is not so good 😞

Bryan

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Astrobdlbug said:

Wind speed yellow is 100km per hour through red at 150kph up to 200kph for purple - so rather rapid air flows above us in UK thanks to  the Jet Stream - hence why guiding is not so good 😞

Bryan

The UK doesn't look too bad Bryan, not when compared to my location. 🙁

Untitled-1.jpg

• Sad 1

• TerryMcK locked and unpinned this topic