Jump to content

Hello from New Stargazer


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this forum and to stargazing. I've always loved astronomy and want to be a commercial pilot. I have no idea how to get started, so tips (especially on using binoculars and taking photos) are greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PilotCat175 said:

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this forum and to stargazing. I've always loved astronomy and want to be a commercial pilot. I have no idea how to get started, so tips (especially on using binoculars and taking photos) are greatly appreciated.

 

Hello and welcome to the Yard. If you're wondering why it's a bit quiet, this forum is UK based and it's 01:39 GMT here lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nightspore said:

 

You're welcome. I'm just an insomniac of course lol. No doubt I'll drop off before the sun rises. 

 

SkyPortal

 

Stellarium

 

You may be interested in these freeware astronomy apps. They're used a lot by amateur astronomers and are cross platform (almost). 

Thanks

 I use Stellarium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PilotCat175 said:

Hi everyone. I'm completely new to this forum and to stargazing. I've always loved astronomy and want to be a commercial pilot. I have no idea how to get started, so tips (especially on using binoculars and taking photos) are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Backyard Astro. What type of astrophotography interests you, planetary or deepsky? There are a lot of knowlegeable users on the forum only too willing to help a newcomer to this hobby. No question is too stupid, just ask.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PilotCat175 said:

Thanks

 I use Stellarium.

 

I've been using it for over a decade although I tend to rely on SkySafari Pro these days. 

 

kF2CPZy.jpg

 

I'm glad I got the PPA version of Stellarium back on Ubuntu. It even updated itself on Xmas Day lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AstronomyUkraine said:

Welcome to Backyard Astro. What type of astrophotography interests you, planetary or deepsky? There are a lot of knowlegeable users on the forum only too willing to help a newcomer to this hobby. No question is too stupid, just ask.

Thanks! I'm new at all this, I think both? I mostly want to find objects in the sky and study them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only have my family's binoculars and a video camera. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out when and where the Quadantrids meteor shower will be tonight. I've heard that it is peaking from Jan 2-3 around midnight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PilotCat175 said:

I only have my family's binoculars and a video camera. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out when and where the Quadantrids meteor shower will be tonight. I've heard that it is peaking from Jan 2-3 around midnight.

 

LweMwHz.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hi I hope this is the right place to post this question but...

 

I'm trying to figure out exactly where Mercury and the Lyrids will be tonight (besides just knowing the cardinal direction). For example, I've seen that Mercury will be like 0.20 degrees off of the moon, but how do you know exactly where to look? I haven't been able to to find many of the constellations yet. I'm hoping to watch the meteor shower throughout the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PilotCat175 said:

Hi I hope this is the right place to post this question but...

 

I'm trying to figure out exactly where Mercury and the Lyrids will be tonight (besides just knowing the cardinal direction). For example, I've seen that Mercury will be like 0.20 degrees off of the moon, but how do you know exactly where to look? I haven't been able to to find many of the constellations yet. I'm hoping to watch the meteor shower throughout the week.

 

mercury.thumb.jpg.c742d8ba1890bb84b092ea425faf5912.jpg

 

Mercury set about 21:38 British Summer Time. It follows the setting Sun at the moment and would only be visible for a short while..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...